Saturday, December 2, 2017

Identity Crisis



19Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. 20“For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel. 21“For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. 22“For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23“that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
John 5: 19 - 23 NKJV

The other night I was watching some mind over matter, phsychological guru on tv who seemed to make a pretty outlandish claim.  Here was this guy telling all who were watching his little infomercial that we are all...who we feel that we are.  Well, I immediately turned this fool off and returned to watching the game of the day.  But something about what he had said kept knawing away at me for some reason.  Don't get me wrong, I could see his point to an extent.  But, was I indeed who I thought I was?  If I was, then who was I?  Am I Scott, a flesh and blood creation with thoughts, feelings and emotions?  Or am I someone else entirely?  It has been said that Christ Jesus is the image of the invisible God {Colossions 1:15}.  That is, when we see Christ we are in fact seeing His Father who sent Him.  I would agree that those of Christs time would only know of God through that appearance of Jesus befor them.  When I was growing up, many of my dads family would often comment on how much I resembled him.  Like father like son I guess.  However, despite the fact that I physically resembled my own father...we were completely different.  Indeed, I have never thought of myself as being like my own father.  Therefore, I guess from the infomercial dudes logic, I wasn't him.  Brilliant.  Again I asked myself the question, who am I?  Yes, I know that I am Scott, but who is he?  This round about reasoning continued for a few days until one morning as I stood in front of the mirror it hit me.  I already knew who I was!  Yes, I know my name, but it is not my physical appearance which others see that define me.  I have a new identity which has been revealed to me by my heavenly Father.  I...am Christ.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

A few years back, a very wise friend of mine had given me some very important advice in regards to my fitness goals.  He told me that if indeed I intended to reach my goal weight, I would need to see myself as a 200 pound person.  For once I trusted this true vision of myself then my behaviors would fall in line accordingly.  At the time it sounded like a pretty good idea.  Mind over matter as they say.  I recalled my friends advice the other night as I sat and watched tv.  Again I'll pose the question, who am I?  Well, if I were to ask the apostle Paul who it is that he was, I'm sure that he would respond with something that resembled the reality of Christ Jesus in him.  See, as Paul saw it, he no longer existed but that Christ lived in him {Galations 2:20}.  This verse is more than just a feel good Sunday morning pulpit pounder sermon topic.  In fact, I would argue that one would not see this topic mentioned all too often in our churches today, and to me that's a shame.  I believe that we as christians today are suffering from a real identity crisis.  Sure, we can talk about how hard we try to be closer to God and to be more like Him, but how many of us really realize that...we ARE Him?  For that very same Spirit of Christ Jesus that lived through Paul also lives through us today.  That's right, Christ lives today through us.  So, how is it that christians of today can embrace this truth?  The same way that my friend has told me that I seeing myself as a 200 pound person will go a long way towards achieving my fitness goals.  For when I start seeing myself as a fit person, then in return my behaviors will soon began reflecting how it is that I see myself.  The more that we see ourselves as that Spirit image of Christ Jesus in us and not simply flesh and blood the more that true image of ourselves will be accepted.  Maybe infomercial dude was right after all.

15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
Colossions 1: 15 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: