Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Derailed



31Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32“Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
John 16: 31 - 33 NKJV

Many of us were captivated this week by the story of a amtrak train that derailed near Seattle.  Apparently said train was traveling well above the rated speed on the turn it was negotiating.  Being a model railroad enthusiest, I know full well the importance of reduced speed in turns.  The focus on the Seattle crash now will turn to the conduct of the engineer as well as any track defects that may have affected the trains progress that day.  One theory being floated out there is that the train engineer was possibly distracted as he drove into the turn in question.  I can relate, for there has been many a time when I have become distracted by those events around me.  See, I grew up believing that if only I trusted in Jesus that everything in my life would be roses.  Well, sorry to say, but even Christ Jesus Himself would disagree with that thinking.  The word sof Jesus in John 16 should be a red flag warning to all who believe that simply trusting in Christ will guarantee us a good and trouble free life.  For Jesus tells us that in this world "you will have tribulation" {John 16:33}.  Indeed, instead of smooth sailing we will all too often find a rocky path in life.  Now, that isn't to say that all of us will discover tribulation throughout lifes journey, but we are by no means immune to it simply because we have chosen to place our trust in Jesus.  On the contrary, it is BECAUSE we have chosen to trust in our Savior that we will encounter rough times in life.  I recall being asked by a coworker some time ago as I was going through a troubling time just how well that trust in God was working out for me.  I couldn't answer him without feeling some pain of rejection.  Here I had placed my trust in God and He had somehow thrown me under the bus...or had He?  Whenever I choose to have a pity party over my situation in life, I often think to the life of Christ and all that He endured for me.  Did the Father throw His beloved Son under the bus?  Certainly not.  However, there are those christians who continue to believe that as His Son was suffering on the cross that the Father somehow turned His back on Him.  I refuse to fall into that school of thought.  No, I believe that He was with Him throughout His ordeal.  To believe otherwise would be to believe that there is a seperation between the Father and His children and that simply isn't true.  Believe me, if anyone could have been derailed by His lifes events it was Jesus.

"Will you at least consider this: when all you can see is your pain, perhaps then you lose sight of me."
William Paul Young ~ The Shack

Consider the engineer on that fateful train.  What was it that his eyes were focused on at the momemt of the accident?  What was it that he was concentrating on instead of directing his attention to where it should have been?  Even though I was not involved in this tragedy, I know full well the feeling of having my attention diverted from where it should be.  Many a time I have found myself wading through the circumstances in my own life instead of trusting in Him who IS my life {Galations 2:20}.  Through my pain, I'd lost sight of God.  What's important is not what I'm going through but WHO is with me on my life journey.  Everything else is simply background noise we needn't pay attention to.  I feel that there is a good reason that Jesus warned us of lifes struggles, that we would not lose our focus on what is truly important.  The apostle Paul certainly knew where his focus was on his journey.  For Paul, "to live is Christ, and to die is gain" {Philippians 1:21}.  One thing I have noticed as I have grown in my trust of Christ Jesus in me is how differently I have come to see those times in my own life when troubles do come.  Where in the past I wondered to myself why God would allow such trouble in His childs life, I now wonder what He is doing in my life.  It is never Gods intention to punish me or to cause distress, even though that in itself is no guarantee that I won't face turmoil.  Our question should never be why me God...but what are you doing through me, Lord?

19For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1: 19 - 21 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: