Friday, December 22, 2017

Something More

Sunday morning church


Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: 24“God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25“Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. 26“And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27“so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28“for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’
Acts 17: 23 - 28 NKJV

I had a interesting conversation with an old friend this week as I ventured for my morning coffee.  I have known him for some time after we first met at the same church we both used to attend...religiously.  Well, it seems that we both have in some ways traveled the very same road in that we are no longer in regular church attendance.  I'm not sure what caused my friends disconnect with the institutional church, but I'm guessing that it may similar to my own.  For me, I was looking for something more than the usual sunday sermon could offer up.  Each week I was being told that I needed to be "closer to God."  Well, I was looking for God.  To me, God could not be limited to one location or one denomination of worship.  Somewhere, somehow someone had missed the boat.  Like my friend, I desired something more than I was getting.  Now, I could turn this discussion into just another anti institutional church diatribe, but that would not help others who, like me, were simply looking for something more out of their church experience.  I'm not here as a guiding light into a better life nor as a guru to lead a new belief.  I just want something more.  More than a few things I had been hearing didn't mesh with what I already knew about God.  That I needed to ask His forgiveness each and every day.  That I needed to "do better" if I was to stay in His good graces.  This is performance based christianity, and it doesn't jive with the life we already have through Christ Jesus {Galations 2:20}.  It's funny that in all of my time sitting in a sunday morning pew that I never heard a whisper of a refernece to Galations 2:20 and how it relates to our life today.  I think that's a shame.  There are plenty of christians out there who, like me, are longing for something more.

47“But Solomon built Him a house. 48“However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says: 49‘Heaven is My throne, And earth is My footstool. What house will you build for Me? says the LORD, Or what is the place of My rest? 50Has My hand not made all these things?’
Acts 7: 47 - 50 NKJV

One of the comments my friend made as we talked was that he "had gone to church for over 30 years and needed a break."  That spoke volumes to me and my situation.  I had began to look church not as a celebration of worship to God but as a solem duty which I had been ordered to perform.  If we are placing blame for the downfall of the church here, then I will gladly accept my part of it.  For it was my decision not to partake in the weekly institutional dog and pony show any longer.  Again, I'm sure there are many out there who may find themselves in the very same situation as I did.  Knowing what I now know, I would be the first one to tell anyone that we've lost our own focus over time.  The worship and oneness we experience when we are in our Lords presence is not something mechanical which we must be ordered to dutifully partake in.  This is not what God desires from His children.  On the other hand, when we come together as a community without the trappings of the institutional church something different happens.  Instead of a wandering mass of christians looking for a ordained pastor to guide them in what good christians should do we get a look at what true fellowship and worship is.  Many people today would not even recognize the early church of the followers of Christ if they were to see it for themselves.  To these early christians who gathered not in temples but in each others homes it was more about a community of believers than a formal song and dance performance.  There was a reason for this, as the Roman authorities of the day were not too fond of the message which had sprouted with the life of Christ.  The message that God was not a God of punishment but of love and grace.  I made the comment some time ago after I had left the church to another friend who was still doing church off and on of how I wished for a church of the type that we find described in Acts 2.  His response was typical of his belief...if we desired that type of church then our society as a whole would need to change.  It really is something different to come together as a community of believers to be in His presence free to worship Him as only we can.  I know because I've been there.

44Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45and osold their possessions and goods, and dividedp them among all, as anyone had need. 46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: