Saturday, December 16, 2017

Eyes Of A Child



13Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them.14But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. 15“Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” 16And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.
Mark 10: 13 - 16 NKJV

Out of the mouths of babes.  Many have sung the praises of those little ones around us.  One of my friends recently commented on how innocent and uncorrupted children are.  I would have to agree.  Christ Jesus Himself treasured the children around Him enough that He was displeased when others sought to prevent them from being brought before Him.  Who could blame Him?  As Jesus said, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter into it {Mark 10:15}.  Does that mean that only a child will enter into Gods kingdom?  Well, in a matter of speaking.  For if we do not RECEIVE the kingdom of God as a child, we may just be in danger of not doing so at all?  We must think of the mind of a child when we contemplate this verse.  We must go back to that place where, as adults, we all too often wish we could once again return to.  To those carefree days of our youth.  We often marvel at just how trusting children are.  This can be a blessing as well as a cause for caution.  A child will rarely question the words of their parents.  Well, that is until the onset of the teenage years and then all bets are off.  If we look closely, we can see just why Jesus spoke to those who receive the kingdom of God as a little child.  One who hears of the kingdom of God and follows that path without wavering.  These are the eyes of a child.  Complete trust in what they have been taught.  How great would our own faith be if we were to approach it a child...trusting and following?  Is it any wonder that Jesus would Jesus would suggest that those who choose to enter the kingdom of God should do so as one of these little ones?  Personally, I often wish that my own faith was as strong as that a child.  To trust and live in what I know to be true in my heart.  However, if there is one thing that our own lives have taught us as we get older is that life happens.  A life where the trust and faith of our youth may very well be shattered by disapointment, tragedy and those around us.  To be honest, life is by no means fair, and we all will one day be stopped dead in our tracks by this reality.  That's called growing up...and we all go through it.

11When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I
put away childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13: 11 - 13 NKJV

At times I long for those carefree days of my own childhood.  Those days when I was free to wander and discover all that there was in the world around me.  Then agian, there were many times when I was held back from my own curiosity...and that's a good thing.  A recent commercial for satalite television refered to those people who still enjoy cable tv as those who still enjoy touching a hot stove and banging their heads against a wall.  I get it.  Indeed, this was why I was held back from my own curiosity.  For what good are lifes lessons if we keep on making those same mistakes over and over?  The very difinition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.  So many of us were taught these life lessons when we were young.  Granted, there are a few stubborn people out there who hold fast to learning lifes lessons at their own pace.  Hey, you do you buddy.  There is a reason that we teach our children not to touch a hot stove and never to trust strangers.  This is part of our own efforts to protect them from themselves and their own natural curiosity.  Personally, I don't want to be that grown adult who never learned those life lessons we all learn growing up.  One way or another, we WILL learn them.  I'd rather get them out of the way early.  Is this truly innocence lost...or experience gained?  I'd take the latter.  When Christ taught that we should receive the kingdom of God as a child it was definately for our own benefit.  This is the essence of a faith which will stand the test of lifes lessons.  To live our life knowing who we are {Galations 2:20}.  To see the kingdom of our heavenly Father and know without question in our own hearts that we will one day be with Him.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is."
Yoda

~Scott~


No comments: