Saturday, December 23, 2017

Open Our Eyes



15And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?”16So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”17And Elisha prayed, and said, “LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.”Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
2 Kings 6: 15 - 17 NKJV

Elishas servant must have been beside himself.  For all around the Isrealite camp  stood the assembled armies of the Syrians.  Obviously there was no escape from the armies surrounding them...or was there?  As the prophet Elisha prayed, he prayed not for protection, but that the young mans eyes would be opened to what was in front of him {2 Kings 6:17}.  Indeed, as the prophet had predicted, "Those who are with us are more than those who are against us."  The young man stood amazed as standing on those hillsides before him were legions of angels of the Lord God of Isreal.  I have turned to this scripture many a time when my circumstances have more than assured me that the gig was up, that I had finally come to a point where even God could not save me.  My eyes were not yet opened.  Somewhere behind the scenes my heavenly Father was once again orchestrating all which He desired for me.  I guess that by now I should be used to being blind to all that the Lord is accomplishing in my life.  We are indeed visual creatures, we tend to trust and believe only what we see before us.  Yet all about us are the examples which our Lord has put before us to remind us of His work behind the scenes.  The apple falls from the tree only because of the gravity which our Lord has made possible.  The sun rises each day not because of some eco energy source man has discovered, but because of our Lords creation.  Indeed, all around us the world testifies to His creation.  Somewhere back in time before I was even a thought in anyones mind, my heavenly Father assured of His presence.  Long before my eyes were yet opened.

14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. 15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or eprincipalities or fpowers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
Colossions 1: 14 - 17 NKJV

Only my closest friends know of the struggle I had in realizing the truth of Christ Jesus in me {Galations 2:20}.  Sometimes it felt as if I would never get it.  How could I ever trust in one I could not even see for myself?  This man, this Jesus was asking the impossible so it seemed.  There were times where I felt like that young servant staring at the armies of the Syrians assembled against the Isrealites on the hillside before him.  Like him, my own eyes were yet to be opened to what was before me.  Indeed, behind the scenes my heavenly Father was working that I might see Christ in me with my own eyes.  For even though I struggled to see Jesus in me, that in no way means that it wasn't true.  It just means that my eyes were yet to be opened to see Him in me.  Consider that the apostle Paul may have never even met Jesus, yet he spent a good portion of his life opposing him.  By Pauls own admission, it was only when "it pleased God" that his own eyes were opened and Christ was revealed in him {Galations 1:15}.  Why should it be any different for me?  When my Lords timing was right, he opened my own eyes that I would see Christ Jesus in me. I have no idea as to why my eyes couldn't have been opened earlier, but that's not for me to debate.  I only need to see today what my own eyes have been opened to.  That is, Christ in me.  For His own reasons, God did not reveal His Son to me until I my eyes were opened.  That doesn't mean that He wasn't already there, only that my eyes did not see Him.  I wonder at times what other things I have not yet seen.

 15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: