Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Reluctant Christian



8“Also I say to you, whoever confesses Me before men, him the Son of Man also will confess before the angels of God. 9“But he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. 10“And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven."
Luke 12: 8 - 10 NKJV

I overheard a conversation between two friend on the streets of Portland this week.  As these two ladies walked down the street, one lamented about how she did not feel at all safe expressing her faith in Jesus in such a unreligoius environment as Portland.  Now, I somewhat agree with this reluctant christian, but for the most part I believe that we should never be ashamed of He who shed His blood for us.  Yet, some may allow their own fear of retaliation to take over in these situations.  What right do we have to push Jesus on others?  Who made us the judge of everyone else?  Each of these arguments, of course, is completely bogus.  For Christ Himself charged those who followed Him to speak of His gospel to all.  Trust me, I have been in these situations more times than I can count.  Usually, I do not get too extreme of a reaction when I tell others of my faith in Christ, but I have run into my share of people who immediately assume that I am just another Jesus freak out there to force them into seeing things from my point of view.  I usually don't pay them too much attention.  If there is one thing I have learned in my time it's that NOBODY can force anyone else to believe something that they do not want to.  It just doesn't work that way.  Now, someone may CHOOSE to hear of my faith in Jesus and based on my own testimony, turn their attentions towards Jesus.  But to force someone to believe what I do?  Come on, man.  Indeed, if we were to force others into the belief of Christ, that would take away from what Jesus wanted for us.  I believe that He did not want robots who would believe anything, but those who searched for Him willingly in their own hearts.

1Now faith is the asubstance of things hoped for, the bevidence of things not seen. 2For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. 3By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.4By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks. 5By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken him”; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Hebrews 11: 1 - 6 NKJV

I can honestly say that I dislike saleman with a passion.  Why?  Because they are trying to force their product upon me.  They are trying to influence me in such a way that I will purchase what they are selling, and they will use any means at their disposal in doing so.  No, I don't like saleman at all.  Knowing this, what would make you think that I would tolerate someone who would try their best to force me to trust in Christ?  That simply wouldn't fly.  The ONLY way I would ever come to that realization of Christ Jesus in me is by that revelation in my own spirit by my heavenly Father {Galations 1:15-16}.  Now, God never forces nor compells His children to see His Son in them, but reveals this truth to them by His love and grace in His own timing.  You know, I wish all saleman worked like that.  That brings me to yet another point.  Are we saleman for Jesus, or are we revealers of what He has done in our own lives?  I would prefer to be known as one who, through my own testimony, caused a stirring in anothers spirit.  Sadly, there are many in todays church who take each and every opportunity afforded to them to be salesman for Christ.  It is as if one would be saved through the shame and condemnation of others.  To avoid this hard sell, you need to join the Jesus clique my friends.  Then you too can compell others into what you believe.  Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.  Personally, I want no part of a congregation where the gospel and truth of Christ Jesus is forced but not taught.  But, that's just me.  You do what you do.  There was no compulsion in my own realization of Jesus in me.  No, it was through the testimony and thoughts of a close friend that my own spirit received that revelation.  Thank goodness I'm no longer the reluctant christian.

 42And they said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How is it then that He says, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43Jesus therefore answered and said to them, h“Do not murmur among yourselves. 44“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45“It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who ihas heard and learned from the Father comes to Me."
John 6: 42 - 45 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: