Monday, January 15, 2018

A Parting Glass



But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all
~The Parting Glass~

My friends and I once had a tradition whenever we were out on the town for one occassion or another.  Wherever we were, whatever the hour, someone would up and order that parting glass.  The idea was that this was our farewell salute if you will.  This we would each remember until we would come together once again.  Predictably, it is these moments among friends that are some of my most cherished of all.  I'm not sure just who instituted our tradition, but it seemed fitting.  Of course, a few of my friends being Irish, I'm certain that this had something to do with it.  Thinking of those times the other day I thought of what it is that we ourselves leave behind that those around us will remember most.  For myself, I want to be remembered as one who walked that road of christianity before finally recognizing who the man Jesus truly is.  Of course, this did not come to me as a result of some great treasure hunt, but by my heavenly Father revealing Him to me in my own heart.  He had always been there, I just had not recognized Him within me where He now dwells {Galations 2:20}.  If I were to have my way, I would be recalled fondly by those around me as one who ran my race as best I could in Christ {2 Timothy 4:7}.  I fought the good fight, I kept the faith.  Yes, this is how I would like to be remembered.  Of course, I cannot control how my life is to be perceived by others.  Some may see my good points while others will focus on just the bad.  Of course, what truly matters is how I see I have run that race of faith.  If I am content in my own heart that I have done well that is all I could ask.  I would certainly choose to be remembered as one who knew the man Jesus than one who didn't that's for sure.  For it is Christ Jesus for whom all things were created {John 1:3}.  Would I even have lived without the works of Christ?  Probably not.

13“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 13 - 16 NKJV

I've read more than a few accounts of those who have struggled to leave a legacy for their own children.  Some desire to leave money, property or influence to their decendents that somehow the family name or tradition would continue.  Do you know what my mothers legacy was?  For those who never knew her, she left a simple legacy of having a heart for those around her.  To me there was so much more.  For me, my moms legacy was one of knowing and showing others that nature of Christ Jesus who was in her.  I can't think of a better legacy for someone to leave behind.  If you think about it, this is exactly the same legacy left behind by others just like her.  It is in this way that the man Jesus has become known to so many.  I would not know Jesus on a more personal level myself were it not for a close friend of mine who opened the door to the revealing of Christ in me.  So it is with those around us as well.  Yes, one could leave behind those treasures of money, possessions or influence and call it their legacy, but how does that make known the man Jesus to others?  Abraham left a legacy, as did Moses and the apostle Paul.  One could argue that Pauls own legacy was the gospel of Christ being revealed to others.  I want to be in that crowd!  So I continue with the race that is set before me.  Could we claim that Jesus Himself carries His own legacy?  What would that legacy be?  I would argue that we ourselves are part of that legacy of Christ.  Not only are we children, but sons and joint heirs with Jesus {Romans 8:17}.  We are part of a much greater legacy than we could ever imagine.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
Romans 8: 14 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: