Sunday, January 14, 2018

His Name



5Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2: 5 - 11 NKJV

There is something about the name of Jesus.  His very name can either bring forth praise or condemnation.  Deliverance or death.  We know Him by His name, but obviously that is not all there is to Him.  Joseph and Mary were instructed by the angel of the Lord that their newly born son would be called Jesus for He will "save His people from their sins" {Matthew 1:21}.  Therefore, it is not that far of a leap that we can, and do, associate the name Jesus with He who delivered us from our own sin condition {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  However, we have also become accustomed to associating His name with kindness, morals and how we should live our own lives.  I have heard Him linked to such titles as kindest man in history, ancient prophet and righteous servant.  How would you describe Jesus to someone?  Is He just a prophet or the image of our invisible Lord? {Colossions 1:15}.  Would those who have known Him describe Him differently?  I'm sure that those few who walked with Him had a different view of Jesus than we do.  It was the apostle Peter who nailed it on the head when asked by Jesus who he thought He was.  "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" {Matthew 16:16}.  Is this how we would proclaim Jesus, the Son of our living God?  Well, this is exactly what He is my friends.  Yes, many of the descriptions used to tell of His kindness, selflessness and righteousness are also true as well.  However, one of the best ways to describe Him is the Son of the living God, for this is what He is.  Yet He is so much more than that.

7“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” 8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?10“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves."
John 14: 7 - 11 NKJV

It is interesting the interaction between Jesus and Philip.  Young Philip asks Him to simply show him the Father...and he will be content with that.  I'm sure that Jesus shook His young disciples world when He answered him.  "He who has seen Me has seen the Father."  I have to admit, this is not how I would have described Jesus to someone not too long ago.  See, I knew His name, but I didn't know the man Jesus.  He hadn't yet become known to me on a more personal level.  I asked the question of how it is that we would describe Jesus to someone for the first time.  Knowing what I now know of Him, I would dispense of all the pleasing platitudes He has come to be known by.  We know that Jesus is kind, righteous and has abundant grace.  These descriptions do not bring him home on a more personal level for too many people.  I believe that this is where we should begin, on a personal level with Christ Jesus.  This is the man we want to know.  Would we introduce a member of our own family simply by a general description?  Neither should we do so with Jesus.  What brought home Jesus on a more personal level for me was His truth that He lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  Jesus is by no means dead, so we shouldn't describe Him like He is should we?  I would instead introduce someone to the man who lives through me today.  This is Jesus, and He is always full of joy to meet whoever we might introduce to Him!  In fact, if we are asked by someone to show them Jesus so that they might see Him as well...all we need do is introduce ourselves.  This is Jesus.  This is His name.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: