Sunday, March 15, 2020

As A Child



But when Jesus saw it He was greatly displeased and said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.  Assuredly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."
Mark 10: 14 - 15 NKJV

Jesus used many references in His teachings, but that which we find in Mark 10 as He received the children unto Him is important to understand in context.  So, will we lose our salvation if we somehow don't accept Jesus as a child would?  Certainly not, but there is definitely some meaning behind what He said.  Interestingly enough, this topic was part of a conversation a friend who shall remain nameless and I had the other day.  When we think of a child, what comes to mind?  For me it's curiosity.  For we all know that children will explore anything, they're naturally curious.  I do remember as a young Christian seeing Jesus with that same curiosity.  This was all new to me, and I wanted to know what Jesus was all about.  While this may have been the reason for Jesus' analogy, I don't believe it is what He was referring to.  What is something else we associate with children?  Well, for me I associate children as being weak, fragile and helpless.  Why would Jesus desire someone who is weak and helpless?  Well, I believe that it is when we are weak that the strength of Jesus shines.  The apostle Paul realized this in the midst of his own weakness.  We may recall the thorn in Paul's flesh which caused him much discomfort.  Paul pleaded that this thorn sent from Satan would be removed from him, but Jesus had other plans for him.  His response to Paul?  "My strength is made perfect in weakness."{2 Corinthians 12:9}.  The strength of Christ made perfect through our weakness?  This fly's in the face of the traditional church teaching which I was raised in.  If I were to know Paul and his situation, I may have told him that it was his own sin which had caused God to punish him with that thorn in his side.  This has been the traditional church teaching for some time.  At its heart is our mistaken belief, lie if you will, that we are somehow separated from God.  God is seated on His throne in heaven, and since He cannot be in the presence of sin, He remains there apart from His children.  The only time we may come into contact with God is when He is disciplining or blessing us.  As I said, this has been the prevailing church teaching for generations.  We see it with Jesus as well, we're told that we need to be "more like Jesus."  Well, again, Paul blows this teaching out of the water when he claims that it is Jesus who lives through us {Galatians 2:20}.  This is Christ in us.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12: 9 NKJV

Throughout scripture we see Jesus bring comfort to those who are weak and in need.  This is where He is at His best.  If I were perfect and without blemish, what need would I have for Jesus?  I believe that this explains wonderfully our own creation.  How God created us in His own image with all of our human faults and imperfections.  I believe that He delights in lifting us up from our despairs of life.  After all, He is our Father, and what parent does not relish being there for their children?  What parent does not long to hold their child close to them when they are hurting?  In contrast, a relationship where the child does not need the parent will soon become strained.  I think it is a common accepted truth that we were never meant to go it alone in life.  Even the most strong among us are weak and helpless, in need of the Fathers touch.  It is in these times where, as He told Paul, that His strength is made perfect.  The strength of Jesus was made perfect through those He healed.  His strength was made perfect as He stared down the Jewish authorities who were set on stoning a woman caught in adultery.  Above all, His strength was made perfect when He took our sins upon Himself to the cross {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Understand that Jesus also exhibited His own weaknesses during His life.  I'm sure that there were plenty of times where He wished that He was strong enough.  After all, Jesus was flesh as we are.  Was the Fathers strength made perfect in the weaknesses of Jesus?  I have no doubt it was.  I believe that this gives us a new outlook on our own infirmities.  I refuse to follow the church teaching where negative circumstances are seen as a possible punishment from God.  No, I believe that Jesus uses these circumstances in our lives to show His own strength through us.  When we are unable to rescue ourselves, it is through the power and love of Christ Jesus that we are delivered.  How many times has the strength of Christ delivered you in your life?  I seem to have lost count, but I admit that He has delivered me many times when I felt as if there was no other way out.  It is in times such as this where Jesus shines brightest.

"Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation.  The spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak."
Matthew 26: 41 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: