Sunday, March 8, 2020

That Jewish Kid



But we preach Christ Crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness.
1 Corinthians 1: 23 NKJV

I was thinking the other day about how it would sound were I to speak a Sunday sermon from the pulpit of a local church.  Of course, I already know that it would be different from any other sermon I or anyone else had ever heard.  You would never hear me utter the words that those in attendance needed to be "more like Jesus."  You would also never hear me warn others about the dangers of sin in their lives.  None of that foolishness about how our own salvation is in the balance depending on how we live our lives.  Dare I say that were I to speak my sermon that I more than likely wouldn't be invited back by a shocked church leadership.  Exiled once again to the halls of heretics.  So, what is it that I would say?  I would speak, as the apostle Paul claimed, Christ Jesus crucified {1 Corinthians 1:23}.  I would speak to the freedom of not a relationship with Him, but a UNION with Him {John17:23}.  Talking with a friend the other day we agreed that the word "relationship" when it comes to our life in Christ has been hijacked and become normal Christian speak.  No, not a relationship with Christ, but our own union with Him.  For it is Christ Jesus who has provided for that union in me today {Galatians 2:20}.  You see, Christ Jesus crucified is only part of the story of Jesus.  All too often we trivialize it when we speak of His crucifixion then in our very next breath speak to the evils of sin in our lives.  The truth is, Jesus not only eliminated sin in my life, but He put sin to death PERIOD {Romans 6:6-11}.  It is Jesus who became sin that it would no longer be an issue for us {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Many Christians see Jesus as a all perfect super man who can do no wrong.  They're right, to a point.  What would you say if I were to tell you that Jesus was...flawed?  Flawed?  Jesus?  Before you excommunicate me yet again, hear me out.  It is accepted that Jesus came in the form of the flesh...of man.  This we can agree on.  However, we might not agree on what I have to say next.  Are you ready for a Jesus who had bad breath, farted and endured all of the physical difficulties which we do?  Well, if He indeed was in the flesh, He certainly endured all that we do.  We're told that He suffered all which we have {Hebrews 4:15}.  Jesus can indeed sympathize with our own weaknesses because He Himself has faced them.  Some superman huh?

For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Hebrews 4: 15 NKJV

Are you one of those Christians who sees Jesus as someone who woke up every day, prayed and proceeded to teach?  While that may be true some of the time in His older years, I'm pretty sure that His day to day life as a child and teenager was much different.  I see a young Jesus who was, as many young boys are, adventurous and curious.  I see a Jesus who was bullied by other kids because of His birth situation.  Remember, in the Jewish society of the day, children born out of wedlock were essentially seen as, for lack of a better word, bastards.  There is a reason that His own father considered "putting His mother away secretly" {Matthew 1:19}.  Joseph knew the shame that would befall his wife and child were he to marry her.  Fortunately for us, the angel convinced Joseph of Gods ultimate plan for good.  Knowing this, imagine now the day to day life for a young Jesus.  I'm sure that He was bullied and teased by the local kids to the point of tears many times.  We all know from our own experience how cruel kids can be, right?  I'm sure it was no different for this kid from Galilee who was born to a mother and father who (GASP!) weren't married when He was born.  Along with being tormented by the locals, I see a young Jesus who rolled in the mud, fished with His friends and got Himself into trouble on more than a few occasions.  Did Jesus need to be disciplined?  Absolutely!  I think of all the things I have done in my own life and I wonder if a young Jesus Himself faced them as well.  Can we assume that Jesus was tempted by girls?  Yes!  Remember, He was indeed tempted in all things...yet without sin {Hebrews 4:15}.  That is, Jesus was tempted...but never acted upon those temptations.  What do you think His girl chasing friends thought of Him when He wouldn't follow their lead?  Oh, this Jesus kid doesn't like girls!  Once again, more ridicule.  Does this sound like the Jesus you know?  Maybe not, but it was most certainly the way He was.  For He cannot have lived in the flesh without the imperfections that come with it.
I was thinking the other day of creating a new Christian bumper sticker.  We've all seen the one that reads "my boss is a Jewish carpenter" right?  Well, are you ready for a bumper sticker which reads "my boss was a belching, farting bastard Jewish kid?"  Maybe not.

"I in them, and you in me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent me, and have loved them as You have Me."
John 17: 23 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: