Saturday, March 7, 2020

Generation Disconnect



At my first defense no one stood with me, but all forsook me, may it not be charged against them.  But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the gentiles might hear.  Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.  And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom.  To him be the glory forever and ever.  Amen!
2 Timothy 4: 16 - 18 NKJV

I have a co worker who, as with all too many young people of his age, seems to focus most attention on his Facebook and Instagram accounts.  Although he is by far and away a good person, he often feels lonely and left out.  This leads him to seek companionship not from those around him, but from Facebook dating posts.  Sure, he does interact with those around him, but most of his social interaction comes from social media.  Unfortunately, this is a disconnect that affects too many people in our younger generations.  Where Facebook and social media likes have taken the place of interaction with others.  This week, Wayne Jacobsen spoke to this issue on his podcast as he and his guest discussed the issue of loneliness among young people.  Apparently, nearly 40% of young people have no one to talk to.  Add to this the fact that regular church attendance has zero effect on these numbers.  So, we have a  younger generation looking for attention and affirmation but seldom finding it in those around them.  I can relate.  In the early days of the social media revolution, internet chat rooms took the place of the Facebook and Instagram's we have today.  I know all too well the draw of seeking affirmation from behind a computer screen.  I've been there and done that.  There were days when I would spend ten to twelve hours straight in front of my computer in these chat rooms.  If there were ever a dark corner of the internet, this was it.  I was right there in the middle of it all.  What drove me to spend so much of my time in these chat rooms?  What compelled me to become addicted?  The very same reason my co worker turns to his Facebook today.  I was seeking the social interaction and affirmation I wasn't getting from those around me.  Mind you, I was also attending church on a regular basis at the time as well.  Despite having a entire congregation of followers of God and a pastoral staff to turn to, I found myself in the darkest corners of the internet.  Does anyone see any correlation between my addiction and that of our young people of today?  What is it that throws someone into a false relationship in order to seek attention?  Perhaps it's a lack of social skills or simply a fear that we will not be accepted by those around us.  Whatever it is, it seems to affect a good number of people.  We will never find the solution for what we're searching for on our computers or cell phones.  Facebook and Instagram can never relate to us who it is we really are inside.  This can only be done through a relationship with Christ Jesus.

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8: 38 - 39 NKJV

What troubles me about our loneliest generation is that despite being involved in church worship, many still struggle with loneliness and affirmation.  It seems that the days are gone where the church congregation would take care of its own.  Instead we seem to focus our attentions on putting on a good show for all to see.  We value praise and worship rock bands over healing the hurts of those who fill our churches.  We count tithe and attendance numbers above bringing Gods love to our communities.  I get it.  In my own struggle, it was not a Sunday sermon or a worship song that eventually brought to me the affirmation I so desperately needed.  I needed to know that I was important.  I needed to feel that I was loved.  I didn't find that in any church I attended.  Where I did find comfort was in a relationship with Christ Jesus.  When we realize that all too many human and computer relationships leave us feeling empty, Jesus is one who will never leave us {Galatians 2:20}.  In the book of second Timothy, the apostle Paul tells of how the Lord God protected him when nobody else would {2 Timothy 4:16}.  It is also Christ Jesus who will be with us even when those around us fail us {Hebrews 13:6}.  How many people can we count in our lives who will be with us unto death?  I don't mean any insult to my own friends, but they will never be with me as Jesus will.  What further affirmation do I need if I live each day as Jesus who lives through me?  Do I place my trust in a computer or cell phone where any electrical glitch can wipe out my own confidence?  No, for the love of Christ transcends anything man can create.  It was Jesus who was here from the beginning {John 1:1}.  It is Jesus who, despite our own life deviations, never changes {Hebrews 13:8}.  It would be wonderful to describe our youngest generation as one connected to Jesus instead of our phones and computers.  For as long as we seek our affirmation somewhere besides Christ, we will remain disconnected.

~Scott~

No comments: