Sunday, July 26, 2020

Crap Game





"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack!"
Ferdinand Foch

The other day I was faced with what I would consider a unique opportunity.  Well, a opportunity to show the futility of a situation.  See, for more than a few months we here in Oregon have been slapped with orders to wear face masks not only while in public, but outdoors as well.  This is all thanks to the perceived genius of some politicians.  Whatever your view on face coverings in the midst of the coronavirus issue (I don't say pandemic because the CDC no longer considers it a pandemic), we are stuck with it for now.  Personally, I think it's a fools errand to think that these flimsy coverings are the be all end all to save us, but that's just my opinion.  Anyway, the other day while at the local gym I noticed a few people arguing with the staff over the mask wearing mandate.  Whether they thought it was wrong or not, policy is policy.  Now, despite my own personal views on the subject, I refused to get involved in that discussion.  Why?  Because the ends did not justify the means in my opinion.  What good does it do me to argue a point if it either gets me kicked out or, in the worst case, gets the place closed for non compliance?  So, I play the cards I'm dealt.  I've noticed that this has become a foreign concept to our younger generation.  We see it night after night with some protest somewhere against some injustice.  What would I say to these protestors given the chance?  Play the cards you're dealt.  Yes, you might recognize that there is injustice in the world, but it is highly unlikely that a few voices will change things.  You might recognize that the other team isn't playing fair, do you complain to the officials or do you play the cards you're dealt and play in such a way to overcome that which is against you?  I have a goal to get in better health, so what good would it due me to possibly ensure that I would not be able to use the gym?  There are times when opportunities come to us disguised as disappointments.  In other words, when one door closes, look for another.  We see this through the scriptures with stories of those who, despite what was going on around them, followed the Lord in what they were doing.  Be it opportunity or perseverance, there are times when playing the cards we're dealt is our only option.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
1 John 4: 1 NKJV

I have a close friend who fancies playing a few hands of poker every now and then.  From what he has told me he seems to be good at it.  However, there are times when he's in a game and the cards are not that favorable to him.  Does he immediately give up?  No.  Because in the game of poker you might not have the best hand, but you can make the other guy believe that you do.  Play the cards you're dealt.  Those few people who felt as if they were standing up for their rights at the gym were, in my opinion, giving up.  The game was rigged.  It wasn't fair.  Their rights were being violated in some way.  I get it.  However, what I also get is the opportunity to keep doing what I do.  If something happens and they close the gym down...it won't be because of something I did.  Some people look at this as being when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  It's the same thing.  I don't need some fancy self help book to tell me that I need to chase down opportunities, I'm living it every day.  I also know that were I to sit in on a few games of poker I might not be the best player at the table...but I'd make damn sure that someone thought that I was.

~Scott~

No comments: