Sunday, July 5, 2020

Free Indeed



Jesus answered them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.  "And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.  "Therefore if the Son makes you free you, shall be free indeed."
John 8: 34 - 36 NKJV

What is it that freedom means to you?  Is freedom knowing that you are free to do whatever it is that you want to do?  To accomplish what it is you set out to accomplish?  Or, is freedom simply knowing that you are no longer enslaved to anyone?  We make a big deal in these United States of the fact that we are a free people.  We set out each and every July 4th intent upon celebrating that which makes us such.  Yet, in the wake of recent events in our nation, there may be a certain percentage of the population that would disagree on our proclamation of freedom.  It is these people who may tell us that our freedom is not freedom at all.  For how can one be free and still treated as a lower class citizen?  However, it is my belief that the freedom which I speak of greatly impacts these people among us as well.  I wake up each and every day free to make those decisions which affect my life.  I'm guessing that those who make the claim that America is not free do the same.  Each one of us lives in a country where our struggles and efforts are not only shared, but at times rewarded as well.  There are those times where I don't feel as if I am free in my own country.  In the face of the recent virus pandemic, I gritted my teeth at what I see as the unconstitutional restrictions of government.  Yet, despite these restrictions, I remain free.  I will make the suggestion that freedom also applies to one that is not beholden to a system or behavior.  This is why those who have experienced alcohol and drug abuse talk of that freedom they feel in recovery.  I get it.  I get it because I've been there as well.  I've been there on many a night when I would venture out in search of a good strip club.  One thing is for certain in that I sure as hell did not feel free back then.  Back then I felt more in bondage than anything.  Despite knowing in my heart that it was wrong, I continued on that path.  Then came the day when something in me cried out "This isn't what defines you!"  After that, freedom took on a whole new meaning.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatians 2: 20 NKJV

Very few people can say that they know the freedom which I have experienced.  The difference between now and those days where I did things I was not proud of is like a weight being lifted off of my shoulders.  No longer am I living in the shadow of something I know is wrong.  I will add that that the freedom which I enjoy today is available to anyone who seeks to know it.  This is the freedom which we find through Christ Jesus.  More importantly, the freedom we feel when we realize that Jesus lives in us.  The realization I received that day not so long ago was that what I was doing with my so called freedom was not the person I really was.  That guy is dead.  The apostle Paul tells us in Romans that we should reckon ourselves to be "Dead indeed" to sin {Romans 6:11}.  That man that I once was, that guy who was born into sin...he's dead and gone {Romans 6:6}.  In his place is Christ who lives in us {Galatians 2:20}.  This is the basis of the freedom which I now feel.  I'm no longer living in bondage to those behaviors I once did.  Granted, it wasn't sin which was put to death, but that sin which was in me.  I cannot celebrate Paul's lesson in Romans 6 as the death of sin.  Sin is still out there, but it no longer defines who I am.  I am not a sinner.  I am Christ...Christ in me.  This is the knowing which I have come to know in Jesus.  Knowing that my identity now lies with Jesus.  Knowing that I am no longer beholden to those behaviors I once was.  Knowing that I am free indeed.

Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~      

No comments: