Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Jesus Example



"If I then, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I have given you an example, that you should do as O have done to you.  Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him."
John 13: 14 - 16 NKJV

I heard a radio pastor this week mention that what we need in these times of turmoil is a true example of how to treat one another.  I'm not sure if he was trying to say that it is we ourselves who need to set that example, but it got me to thinking of the example we already have.  We've all heard at one time or another that we are to treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated.  We call it the "golden rule" by which we are to treat others.  The trouble with that is, more often than not, our own human  desires for fairness outweigh what we know in our hearts to be right and true.  How can I treat my neighbor as I would like to be treated when I know that he's wrong?  Once we start to think like that, we deviate from we ought to do into what someone else wants for us.  That being our accuser.  When we begin placing our own feelings over that of others, that golden rule no longer applies.  Where would we be if the true example of how we should treat others, Christ Jesus, had not shown Gods love to those around Him?  Would the woman at the well have continued living in sin?  Would the woman about to be stoned for adulatory have suffered her fate at the hands of the authorities?  I'm guessing that, if not for the love and compassion of God shown through Jesus, that the stories of both women would have ended differently.  So it is with us.  Some people will say, "But Scott, Jesus had God in Him already."  Again I say...so it is with us.  Some will point to Jesus as being that example for us to follow in our relation to those around us.  He showed us this that day He washed the feet of His disciples {John 13:13}.  I remember some years back when those little WWJD bracelets and t shirts were all the rage.  WWJD meaning, what would Jesus do?  I'm guessing that it was supposed to be a reminder to whoever wore the bracelet to ask themselves what Jesus would do in any given situation.  Well, when we know the truth of Christ Jesus, then we already know what He would do.  The apostle Paul spoke of the truth of Jesus when he claimed that it was Jesus Himself who lived in him {Galatians 2:20}.  So, if we have the realization that Christ is in us, do we not now live as Him?  Instead of Jesus being an example to us, is He not a example to others as He works through us?

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatians 2: 20 NKJV

I would say that, for those who have come to know Jesus, that the golden rule has no meaning.  For those who see Jesus not as an example, but as a way of life, treating others well is simply something which we always do.  Now, that does not mean that we who know Christ in us will not forget who we are sometimes and fall back into our old ways.  We know the truth that is in us but, as they say, old  habits die hard.  There have been plenty of times when I, knowing Jesus within me, have treated others wrongly.  I'm sure I'm not alone in that confession.  When we come to the realization that it is Jesus who lives in us, our lives take on a new meaning.  I'm no longer living for myself (in fact, we've never been our own independent self, but more on that later), but that those around me would see Jesus through me.  Yes, I know, that usually isn't my goal each day, but if indeed Jesus lives in me, then logically others will see Him in everything I do, the good and the bad.  Wait, Jesus was bad?  Blasphemy!  Well, too bad we've never had that opportunity to inquire of Mary and Joseph of just how perfect of a boy Jesus was.  Do you suppose that the boy Jesus got into some mischief growing up?  I'm sure He did.  My friend Dennis and I spoke to this imperfect reality of Jesus in a recent podcast.  Needless to say, if I'm not perfect, then Jesus who is in me isn't perfect either.  However, the world around me might never know Him if they did not see Him through me.  It's not up to us to demand that others accept Jesus, but to pray that they will see Him as we do.

~Scott~

1 comment:

Scotts Page said...

Here is the link to Dennis and my conversation on the imperfect Jesus. It will definitely raise some questions. Comment if you have any.

~Scott~

https://www.facebook.com/151666394987282/posts/1686236198196953/?sfnsn=mo