Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Name



"You shall not take the name of your LORD God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain."
Exodus 20: 7 NKJV

I was browsing through a book by Duck Commander founder Phil Robertson the other day when I came across a interesting story.  It seems that Phil was doing a sales call with a customer one day early in his career when out of the blue the man began using the Lords name in some pretty inglorious ways.  Well, Phil took the mans order and at the end of the call asked the man why he would want to insult the very one who would ever save him.  This began a conversation in which Phil eventually led the man to the Lord.  However, it got me to thinking about just how common it has become for people, Christian and non Christian alike, to use our Lords name in ways it shouldn't be.  As I did a bit of research for this writing, I came across a definition which stated the using the Lords name in vain is to utter His name in any way which brings dishonor upon Him.  So, I'll go with that.  We must realize that for many generations of the Jewish faith, the name of the Lord was rarely uttered or written due to the reverence it was given Him.  So, where did we fall short?  Where did it become commonplace to utter the name of our heavenly Father in ways that are unflattering to say the least?  Now, I admit that this is something I myself have engaged in, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.  In fact, I've made it a point to try my hardest to, when those times of anger and frustration come (yes, I narrowed down my trigger moments), that I would try to stop and take stock of what I was about to do.  At first it didn't help much, but lately I've found myself pausing before I say something.  It may seem funny, but I've thought of other less intrusive words to utter in these situations.  The point is that I'm honestly trying to break the habit of disrespecting the name of the Father.  In a culture filled with obscenity, it can be a tall order.  I know that I am in no place to lecture someone on using the Lords name in vain, but I know what the right thing to do is.  In my heart, I also know the sadness that it might bring to my heavenly Father.

I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to carved images.
Isaiah 42: 8 NKJV

Far from being warned by scripture of the pitfalls of using the Lords name in vain, I am also aware of the pain which it brings Him.  For when I use His name in the wrong way, I feel the sadness as well.  It was Paul who introduces us to a personal relationship which we have with Christ Jesus in Galatians.  Paul makes the claim that it is Jesus Himself who lived through him {Galatians 2:20}.  Knowing this, it's not hard to see that when we use His name in ways which dishonor Him, that we ourselves might feel His sadness as well.  I don't hold to the idea that God would strike me down for this infraction, but I have no doubt that it does bring Him disappointment.  I know in my heart that the Father only desires what is good for me, and using His name in unflattering ways certainly isn't that.  So, I can cease following the example of those around me and use the opportunity, as Phil Robertson did, to bring others to the realization of the living Christ.  Sort of taking a negative and turning it into a positive.  I also know that there will be those who will see me as just another bible thumping Christian looking to lecture them on behavior.  If you get that impression then you're missing the point of this opportunity.  My goal is not to dictate to people how to behave...but how to bring them into a relationship with Jesus. 

~Scott~

Jesus removed our sins and guaranteed we could be raised from the dead.  I'm still waiting on someone to enlighten me on what story beats that one.
~Phil Robertson~

No comments: