Sunday, December 13, 2020

Justice For All

 




Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.  

Romans 12: 19 NKJV 


Not a day goes by where someone somewhere wishes for justice in some area of their life.  I've seen it more and more often lately.  We've just completed a election cycle where allegations of fraud and cheating have stained the process.  Granted, these are not simply allegations, as we have also witnessed proof of the wrongdoing of certain people and parties.  So what are we, as believers, to do in these situations?  Start a revolt?  Take to the streets and protest?  Well, there are indeed some who have already taken matters into their own hands to help push along what they themselves see as justice.  President Trump, for his part, is pursuing each and every legal challenge that he can to expose this fraud.  That is, of course, his right to do so.  The question I ran across this week might make more than a few believers stop and think.  That is, how does the God we serve see justice?  More than a few times in scripture He tells us, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.'  In other words, He is reminding us, 'Hey, don't worry, I got this.'  Besides, when it comes to revenge, do you honestly feel that you could do a better job than God?  I wouldn't even entertain that question.  One question I would consider is do I have a right to pursue vengeance in order to seek the justice I desire?  Perhaps, but am I not then meddling in God's affairs?  Believe me, there is certainly a good reason that He desires for us to stay out of the revenge business.  Do we really feel that the Lord knows what is truly best for us?  If we do then allow Him to do what He does best.  I had a conversation with a friend last week who actually wondered if God knew what was really happening in our country.  Seriously?  Of course, that thinking comes from the old paradigm lie that we are somehow separated from God.  Yes, we are created in His image, but because of our sinful nature we have been separated from Him...blah blah blah.  The truth is, we have NEVER been separated from God despite our condition.  The apostle Paul introduces us to this reality in a few of his letters.  In Galatians, Paul explains that it is Christ Jesus who lives through us {Galatians 2:20}.  In Romans, Paul deals with our perceived sin condition and lays it to rest {Romans 6:6-11}.  


Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying: "There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man.  "Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him saying, 'Get justice for me from my adversary.'  "And he would not for awhile; but afterward he said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.' "

Luke 18: 1 - 5 NKJV 


What I love about the parable Jesus spoke of the widows plight is that she never lost hope that she would receive justice even from someone who did not fear the Lord.  I recall a pastor saying once that the lesson learned from this passage was that we were to pray continually to "nudge" God in the direction we wanted Him to go.  Yeah, good luck with that.  Besides, if Jesus truly lives through us, can we not trust that He knows already what we are feeling even before we ask Him?  I believe so.  For centuries, popular Christian teachings have instructed us to pray, and pray and pray some more until we receive the desired result.  Is God similar to the judge who grew weary of the widow showing up every day?  If so, will He tire of us coming to Him all the time?  Thankfully, that would be out of character for God.  Nevertheless, too many Christians have seen the Lord at one time or another as a "name it and claim it" type of God.  I've been there.  The trouble with that is, when our prayers aren't answered, our immediate instinct is to think that we've somehow upset God.  That is a dangerous and lonely cycle.  So, how is it that we should view the Lords justice?  Well, for starters, we need to allow Him to work in these situations.  Trust me, He knows how we feel.  He knows how we hurt.  And, He knows how we feel slighted.  Obviously, our take on justice often does not fall in line with His.  Would we have mercy on one who was harming another?  Well, God would.  Which is why He continues to assure us, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.'


The one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If you are the Christ, save yourself and us."  But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation?  "And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong."  Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when you come into Your kingdom."  And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." 

Luke 23: 39 - 43 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: