Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Book

 




He Knows My name

He knows my every thought

He sees each tear that falls

And hears me when I call

~He Knows My Name~ 


Like I always do, I found myself listening to a radio preacher on my way to work this week.  Something he said made me think.  That the bible I read knows me...more than I know it.  I found this interesting because more often than not I am struck by just how much of myself that I see in scripture.  Some time ago a dear friend related to me that the bible was Gods love letter to me,  Amen.  All too often we see the scripture in a more direct and serious way, like that two edged sword {Hebrews 4:12}.  Indeed, the scripture carries more than enough messaging to help us through our lives.  However, I've come to realize that the bible is not simply a set of rules to live by, it never has been.  Instead, the scriptures tell us the story of Christ Jesus from beginning to end.  From the prophesy predicting His birth {Isaiah 7:14}.  To His birth in Bethlehem {Luke 2:6-7}.  In fact, this book is more about the story of Jesus than it is about rules for our own lives.  You might even say that through this book that God is introducing us to Jesus.  Obviously, His life is chronicled from birth to His death upon the cross.  Oh yes, the crucifixion.  Well, the book tells us that the life of Jesus did not end there.  For we know that Christ died and three days later He rose again.  We know that after His death that He was seen by many {1 Corinthians 15:6}.  We also know that the book tells us of how it is that Jesus lives today {Galatians 2:20, Romans 6:8}.  It is here that many believers fall short.  They look at the book and assume that Jesus is alive but in heaven at the Fathers side.  Well, that is not what the book tells us.  No, the story of Jesus tells us something entirely different.  Where we might see a empty space, the book assures us that Jesus is indeed with us today.  So, are we to believe only some of the truth of the book?  Well, that would be cherry picking the very story of Jesus. 


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


The scripture would be remiss without telling of the life of Jesus.  That is, the ONGOING life of Jesus.  Most believers know all too well the regurgitated stories of the life of Christ that they have learned in church.  I get it.  However, in order to better know Jesus we need to step beyond the stories we know to be true and began to accept the truth about Jesus which we rarely do.  I speak to Christ Jesus in me, that is obvious from what I write.  Yet, mention that truth to many believers today and you'll get a blank stare.  I do not speak heresy, but Jesus.  The apostle Paul spoke to the reality of Christ in him as well {Galatians 2:20}.  Paul spoke to the Lord revealing Christ in him {Galatians 1:15-16}.  Just because a truth is difficult for us to comprehend does not make it any less true.  Therefore, the book tells us of the Life of Christ Jesus today that we would be one with Him.  Yes, that was the prayer of Jesus in the garden {John 17:21}.  That we would be one with He and the Father.  I think that it's safe to say that His prayer has been answered.  So, where is Jesus today if not constrained to heaven?  Well, each day when I look into the mirror I am reminded of just where He is.  It is Christ Jesus who lives in me.  Everything I do, say and experience I do as Christ who is in me.  And here's another curveball, is it the same Jesus in me when I behave badly?  Yes!  Just because I choose in my flesh to act out does not mean that Jesus has left the building.  Perhaps I'll be hearing those accusations of heresy again soon enough.  Whether it is good, bad or ugly, Jesus remains in me.  How do I know this is true?  I read it in a book somewhere.  


To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 1: 27 NKJV 


~Scott~  

No comments: