Thursday, December 17, 2020

Man Of The Year

 




For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

Galatians 6: 3 NKJV 


Have you ever followed the tradition of Time magazines "Man of the year" award?  This is where a few select editors of a outdated dinosaur publication get together and give their opinion on just who it is that deserves to be man of the year, or woman of the year.  Mind you, this selection is based strictly on the opinions of the magazine itself.  Through the years they have graced us with men of the year such as Adolf Hitler (1938) and Joseph Stalin (1939, 1942).  Mind you, I've never seen this yearly tribute as anything more than stroking the ego of some underachieving fool who rarely deserves the honor.  General H. Norman Shwarzkopf was once asked who he felt deserved the award.  Not surprisingly, he said that he would bestow that honor on the common soldier, on the men who deserved such a honor.  I agree.  When we talk about ego and pride, we all too often speak of these in others and rarely in ourselves.  We can talk all day long about how arrogant our neighbor is, but we cringe at the very mention of our own pride which is on display every day for all to see.  I will admit that I tend to be a bit prideful at times.  But I will also say that I have learned how to not live only for myself over the years.  Let's face it, we all love the attention and adoration of others, it's part of who we are.  Yet, there is a reason that the apostle Paul warns us of thinking more of ourselves than we should.  See, Paul knew that his ability to teach lay not with him, but with Christ Jesus who was in him {Galatians 2:20}.  Many Christians view Paul as one of the great teachers of the gospel of all time.  Yet, Paul did not seek his own honor.  What he did do was give credit where credit was due...to Jesus.  For, as Paul claimed, he was chief among sinners {1 Timothy 1:13-17}.  Will I, knowing all which Christ has achieved in my own life, hold myself in such a high place of honor?  Well, those who know me understand that it wasn't a twelve step program or fancy sermon that brought about the change in my life.  That honor goes to Jesus alone.  


Also He spoke this parable to those who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others.  "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  'I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all I possess.'  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'  "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." 

Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV 


I can imagine, back in the day were there such things, that this Pharisee's face would have been plastered all over the pages of Jewish society as a "Man of the year."  Indeed, pride feeds a good many people.  However, look at the reaction of the tax collector.  He understands that it is not he himself that stands in the spotlight...but God.  It is difficult to see that both of the men in this parable of Jesus worship the same God.  Yet, if we were to look closely at our houses of worship today we would come across the very same thing.  Christianity is full of those who walk into church each Sunday brimming with pride over their tithes and contributions to the church.  That's good, the Lord has blessed you, now what will you do with it?  Why do we feel the need to campaign for that man of the year honor?  As I said, I do not consider it my own accomplishment that my life has changed from where I once was.  Why?  Because I understand that without Jesus it would not have been possible.  I can talk all day long of how much I've changed, but in the end it is Christ in me that made the difference.  I was thinking this week, why has Jesus never received a man of the year award?  Indeed, Jesus is recognized as one of the most influential men in history by Christians and non Christians alike.  Yet, in the eyes of Time magazine, he is continually upstaged by hipsters and third world dictators.  Of course, I know the honor which He surely deserves.  Despite being put on the back burner by society, Jesus continues to make Himself known through the lives of those who follow Him.  I'm good with that.


~Scott~ 

No comments: