Friday, December 3, 2021

A Knock At The Door

 




"Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me" 

Revelation 3: 20 NKJV 


I have heard and read about Jesus, so I wanted to hear about Him for myself.  But where should I go?  The bible?  Aren't they just simple words translated by men of the church?  The church?  God's house?  This seemed to be a good start, so one Sunday morning I halfheartedly walked into a bustling local church.  There was a lot of activity in the sanctuary, with people making final preparations, I assumed, for the main service which was about to come.  As people settled in, the ushers greeted familiar faces and friends.  Funny, nobody came forward to welcome me on this day.  Yet I still longed to hear about Jesus, so I stayed.  In a few moments the opening music began, with a new age band doing their best to put a new spin on Amazing Grace.  I knew the words, but I couldn't sing.  I didn't feel welcome.  Still, I stayed, waiting to hear about Jesus.  After the music died down, an associate pastor led the congregation in prayer for a newer and better church home.  It seems that this had been in the works for a while, with the congregation lifting prayers for the beginning of the project.  After morning prayer, the pastor spoke a few words about the morning offering, offering an update on the finances of the new church home.  For a moment I wondered, where was it that Jesus spoke to those who followed Him?  Was it in a big fancy synagogue?  As the collection plates were passed around, I felt somewhat guilty.  I dug through my wallet and took out five dollars, wondering if it was at all acceptable to God.  I got a strange look from the usher, but I pretended not to notice.  I was here to hear about Jesus.   As the offering winded down, the head pastor urged his congregation to continue in prayer for the new church home.  He spent a few moments describing how old this building was, and how a newer facility would certainly usher in a new generation of Christians.  But what about Jesus?  


Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."

John 14: 6 NKJV 


I didn't hear about Jesus that day, just a puffy sermon on how God answers the prayers of His people.  But I still felt empty, I wanted to hear about Jesus.  I decided to attend a mid-week gathering at the church where more than a few small group meetings and classes were being offered.  Surely, one of these could tell me more about Jesus.  I received a strange look when I asked a young man which class was speaking about Jesus.  He directed me to a class for new members and said, "It's better if you start there."  I nervously made my way to the classroom, grabbed a cup of coffee and found a chair.  Before long, a husband-and-wife team began talking about what was expected of new members.  Regular attendance, serving in the congregation and being in prayer for the strength and stability of the church.  Someone asked what they could do to serve, and the husband listed off a few things from volunteering in Sunday school classes to ushering during church services.  I wanted to ask how I could learn more about Jesus, but I felt out place.  Our instructors informed us that once we completed the six week new members class that we would be introduced during a Sunday morning service as new members of the congregation.  But what if I somehow didn't finish the class?  Would I be allowed back in?  Still, I wanted to hear more about Jesus.  We were given a good-sized workbook with different exercises and bible verses to memorize each week until our "Graduation."  As I scanned through the material, the only mention of the name of Jesus that I noticed was in the congregation's core beliefs.  "We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ."  That seemed like a good thing, provided I was good enough to pass the new member class.  Provided that I was somehow accepted by the congregation.  When I left the church that night, I was on the fence about ever returning.  I came looking to hear more about Jesus, but all I had heard so far was how to be a good church member.  As I drove home, I prayed, hoping that He would hear and deem me worthy of His love.  "Jesus, I'm in need of you, where are you?"


Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Acts 2:  44 - 47 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: