Saturday, December 18, 2021

All Are Welcome




 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

1 Timothy 1: 15 NKJV 


Do you ever feel unwelcome?  Like you don't belong?  Like everything you've done in the past somehow prevents you from ever being forgiven.  Well, if you have then you are certainly not alone.  For years I've struggled with my past, hoping that God would see past it enough to allow me into His kingdom.  I tell you, this is a horrible feeling, not knowing if you are forgiven or not.  Yet all too many Christians today suffer that same struggle.  Despite the evidence that God has not only allowed for our forgiveness, but for our lives in Christ Jesus as well.  But what about all the crap I've done?  You know, the bad words, the messed-up relationships and the people I've alienated?   What about all of that?  See, there I go again.  How is it that we get past all we've done to a place where we realize that all are welcome in Jesus?  Would you ever call God short sighted?  Would you ever believe that the creator of the universe would not know beforehand how something He created would turn out?  Of course not, God is omniscient, knowing everything.  We're told that He loved us first {1 John 4:19}.  So, how does our sin issue fit into an omniscient God?  First, God KNEW that we would fall short.  That's right, even before we were a twinkle in our father's eyes, God knew that we would someday fall short.  Yet He still loved us enough to create us in His image {Genesis 1:27}.  Not only that, but He also dealt with that sin issue long before we committed our first transgression.  Indeed, it is the blood of Christ Jesus that washes away all which we have, or will ever, do.  So, if Jesus provided for our sins to be forgiven, why do I still feel guilty?  Well, I believe that this question has a two-part answer.  First, we're continually told by the mainstream church that we're still guilty.  However, and I believe this is the most important part, we have somehow forgotten what it is that Christ Jesus has accomplished for us.  When Jesus cried out on that cross, "It is finished," it was the one and only time He would be crucified for the sins of man.  


Knowing this, that out old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also love with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise, you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV 


Has anyone ever felt like the apostle Paul?  That you and you only are the chief of all sinners?  Well, this is exactly how Paul referred to himself in his letter to young Timothy.  Paul knew exactly what he was talking about, for he had single handedly been responsible for the persecution and death of many followers of Jesus.  In His religious zeal, Saul sought to bring all who followed Jesus to an inglorious end.  Paul admits his transgression...as he tells Timothy of the desire of Christ Jesus.  That is, to save sinners.  It is Paul who rejoiced in the revelation of Christ Jesus in him {Galatians 2:20}.  He knew his past, but he also realized that his future was no longer tied to it.  When I mentioned that we have forgotten what it is that Jesus accomplished for us this is what I was referring to.  It is Jesus who Himself became sin in our place {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  We have been freed of our bondage to the chains of sin by the work of Jesus on the cross.  Once we realize this, the guilt and shame of our past will no longer hold us captive from the love and forgiveness of God.  

Every now and then I find myself listening to a remake of the old Christian hymn Amazing Grace by Michael W Smith.  The chorus, with added words to the original, help me in my realization that my past no longer haunts me.

My chains are gone

I've been set free

My God, my Savior has ransomed me

And like a flood His mercy reigns

Unending love, amazing grace.


~Scott~  

No comments: