Saturday, December 11, 2021

The Man Jesus

 




Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.  Therefore, God has also highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every other name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on the earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.  

Philippians 2: 5 - 11 NKJV 


I overheard a radio preacher the other night proclaim that we should somehow fear the holiness of Jesus.  That we should somehow walk on eggshells whenever it is that we think of being as He is.  I will agree on the holiness of Jesus and the Father, but to fear them?  What I fear is that this is simply more junk from the institutional church meant to keep believers in bondage.  I have the realization of Christ Jesus living in me, I do not fear Him.  I am Jesus, and He is me.  This is the result of our being one with the Father.  It is this relationship which Jesus spoke of, and prayed over, in the garden.  It is this relationship which Jesus desired for those who believe in Him.  Granted, there are a few places within the Old Testament where we see that the Lord is one to be feared.  But is this fear for the sake of it, or is it righteous fear?  Did the prophets fear the Lord God because of His ability to destroy them?  Or, as I believe, the men of old feared the Lord for His righteousness and holiness.  Consider Moses, who saw the ground he walked upon as holy ground {Exodus 3:5}.  I don't see God as one to fear, but as one to hold dear.  I find it difficult to relate to God if I am constantly in fear of Him.  This is exactly why I look upon Christ as the man Jesus.  Yes, on the man whom Jesus is.  For it is Jesus who lives among us as both man...and God {Colossions 1:19}.  It is the man Jesus who proclaimed His being one with the Father {John 10:30}.  It is this Jesus, who being fully man and fully God, chose to dwell in me {Galatians 2:20}.  The apostle John tells us that there is nothing to fear in Love, that perfect love casts out fear {1 John 4:18}.  So, do we really need to fear the Father or Jesus who love us?  


For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus

1 Timothy 2: 5 NKJV 


I cannot blame the many believers who have been tricked into thinking that our hopes are tied to a Savior who has forgiven us of our sins, but that we still need to pray for forgiveness.  Of Christians who live in fear of the Lord, despite God loving them enough to create them in His very image {Genesis 1:27}.  I have a dear friend who has been living in the bondage of the mainstream church for more than a few years.  It makes me angry that the church has done this to him, and to countless others.  However, this is not the point of my post today.  Today's page is all about the human side of Christ.  I believe that if more believers saw Jesus in this light, that it would liberate them from the shackles of false teachings.  I no longer see Jesus as a holy being, far removed from my life and sitting in heaven with the Father.  These days, Jesus to me is one who lives in me through each and every step I take.  He is with me through my victories as well as my defeats.  I can speak my mind to Him without fear that He will somehow be displeased.  He knows me and all of my quirks.  There is nothing about me that comes as a surprise to Jesus.  He's been with me from the beginning.  I am assured that there is nothing I could ever face that Jesus Himself has not encountered as well.  Sexual temptation?  You bet.  No matter what it is, He's been there.  We do well to look upon Jesus not as an emotionless entity, but as a man with the same thoughts, habits and emotions we all have faced.


For we do not have a High Preist who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Hebrews 4: 15 - 16 NKJV 


~Scott~ 





No comments: