Friday, December 31, 2021

Something New

 




Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things are new. 

2 Corinthians 5: 17 NKJV 


I've gotten away from making the traditional New Year's resolution except on certain special occasions.  It turns out that most of the things I resolved to do in the new year were things I'd been working on for some time anyway.  However, many people use this time of year to once again wish the old away and replace it with the new whatever that may be.  It may be money, health or family.  Whatever it is, New Year's is usually the time of year where we once again wipe the slate clean for another year.  It sounds more to me like simply another way to motivate ourselves.  I get it.  I remember resolving to do many things in years past.  Some I accomplished while others faded away.  I guess I did it because I saw those around me doing the same thing.  I don't have a New Year's prediction for this year.  What I do have is proof of something which has already become new.  Me.  That's right, I'm not the same man I was all those years ago.  Is this due to a resolution I followed through on?  Not at all.  This change in my life came about from my knowing and acceptance of Christ Jesus into my life.  This was in no way a New Year's resolution where I resolved to come to know Jesus better.  That's because I always thought I knew who Jesus was.  Jesus was that guy who died for me and then rose into heaven.  Yeah, that guy.  Never once did I think that I could have a personal relationship with Him.  Of course, that was before God revealed His Son in me.  The apostle Paul introduces us to Christ in us in Galatians.  It is Paul who speaks of Jesus living in him {Galatians 2:20}.  This is the Jesus I have come to know.  This is the Jesus who I live my life as.  I did not choose Him...He chose me.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" 

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


If you're a Christian, you know just how bad you've been.  In fact, it's because of you that Jesus needed to come and free you from your sinful ways, right?  Well, you're on the right track.  However, we haven't always been that filthy, ragged sinner we once were.  Far too often, believers get wrapped up in who it is they USED to be.  They remember their past and believe in their hearts that this is who they are no matter what.  For their part, the church does not help when it continues to remind us of our former sinful past.  Yet, in the spirit of the new year allow me to present to you something new...you!  Paul explains to us in 2nd Corinthians that we who believe in Jesus have become NEW creations in Him {2 Corinthians 5:17}.  The old has become new.  It's as if Jesus Himself declared a New Year's resolution by which He declared that He would make you a new creation.  Now, I've never known God to lie, so when He tells us that we are now a brand-new creation, I tend to trust Him.  The filthy ragged sinner you thought you once were is now gone for good through Christ.  Whoever it is that you have thought you were for so many years is gone now.  You're not the unbeliever.  You're not the drunkard.  Who you are is one with Christ Jesus.  This is in fact the desire of Jesus, and His prayer for you in the garden {John 17:21}.  Not that we would continue living a life with a false belief of who we are.  But living a life of redemption and renewal through the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross.  The old things have passed away, behold, all things are new.  


"That they may be one, as you, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they may also be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me."

John 17: 21 NKJV 


~Scott~ 



No comments: