Sunday, May 15, 2022

Being Real




For God gives us, not a spirit of timidity, but of power and of love and of sanity.

1 Timothy 1: 7, Concordant New Testament


I was scrolling through my Facebook feed the other day and I noticed an ad where the young lady was talking about doing her "morning affirmations."  This got me thinking, what are affirmations?  Why are they so important for some people to accomplish each day?  Are our affirmations simply thoughts that make us feel good, or are they something more?  Well, depending on how you perceive them, our own affirmations can be nothing less than speaking what is true.  Now, I will never condemn someone for speaking positive things into their life.  After all, this is something that I do on a regular basis.  Each and every day I find myself speaking the truth of who it is that I am in Christ Jesus.  I suppose that I could consider this to be a part of my own daily affirmations.  I have known many Christians who swear by their journaling each and every day.  I get it.  As someone who writes for his hobby, I've journaled my thoughts from time to time as well.  Not only do I find journaling to be a positive influence on our lives, reminding us of the truth of our life, but it also something which we can very well learn from as well.   There have been more than a few times when I look back on my daily journals that I realize how God has carried me through situations in my own life.  So yes, I believe that affirmations can and do have a positive part to play in our lives.  But I say look carefully at the affirmations which we include in our lives.  What are we affirming for ourselves?  Well, for myself, I affirm the truth of Christ in my life each day.  For me, the truth of Christ Jesus is exactly what the apostle Paul spoke to in Galatians.  That Jesus is more than just a memory.  For it is Jesus who lives in me {Galatians 2:20}.  This is the truth of Christ which I speak to each day.  Others may speak affirmations of goodness, health and positivity.  All, in my opinion, are true once we put them into their proper context.  


You are of God, little children, and you have conquered them, for greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

1 John 4: 4, Concordant New Testament


If I were to pen an affirmation for myself today, I would begin by staking the claim that I AM Christ who is in me {Galatians 2:20}.  I would continue that I have been created for good and wonderful things by my heavenly Father {Genesis 1:27}.  I am good, I am bold, I am Jesus.  This...is the truth of Christ in me.  Others may skip the religious aspect of it all by simply conforming that they are good and positive people.  They're not lying.  For I have not cornered the market on having the indwelling Spirit of Christ within me, nor am I the only one who has been lovingly created by the Father.  Whether one realizes it or not, we have all been created in the image of the Father.  Whether or not we have that  realization, the Spirit of Christ Jesus lives in all of the Lord's children.  I have heard the arguments before from those who seem to deny that the Spirit of Jesus could ever remain in men such as Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin or Charlie Manson.  Such evil could never be associated with God, they claim.  However, I submit that Christ was indeed present in these men, but that they did not even realize it.  Would you see Jesus in yourself if you had never even been introduced to Him?  Probably not.  God has not picked and chosen those few who will exhibit His Son in them.  What He has done is gifted each of us with the truth of Christ in our lives...should we choose to realize His presence.  Once we realize the indwelling Spirit of Jesus in our lives, our daily affirmations become more than just simple positive thoughts.  They become confirmation of the truth we already know.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament


~Scott~ 

No comments: