Saturday, May 28, 2022

When God Hurts

 




Wherefore also, lest I should be lifted up by the transcendence of the revelations, there was given to me a splinter in the flesh, a messenger from Satan, that he may be buffering me, lest I may be lifted up.  For this I entreat the Lord thrice, that it should withdraw from me.  And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, for My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With the greatest relish, then, will I rather be glorying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ should be tabernacling over me.  Wherefore I delight in infirmities, in outrages, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake, for, whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful. 

2 Corinthians 12: 7-10, Concordant New Testament


There has been an understanding in Christianity for some time that once we accept Christ Jesus into our lives that suddenly our lives are blessed with good and positive things.  While I have no doubt that there will be times where we will indulge in the happiness of good times, there will also be times of extreme pain and grief as well.  This was once again illustrated this past week with the killing of 21 people at a school in Uvalde, Texas.  It wasn't long before numerous media outlets began the "Where was God?" war drums in the media.  It is as if by believing in God that we are somehow immune from the trials and pains of life.  Well, I believe in God, and my life has not been easy in any way.  I know of others who, being devout followers of Jesus, have suffered many afflictions in their own lives.  While my heart goes out to the families in Texas, I also understand that we have not seen the last of the sufferings of life.  So why would God allow children to suffer?  I try not to think of God in that way.  I prefer to see God for who He is...Love.  I prefer to see God who, in those terrible final moments, lovingly led His children home with Him.  While we are left to pick up the pieces of this tragedy, we can be assured that God has not forgotten, nor will He forget, those of us who remain.  His promise is clear, He will be with us always {Isaiah 41:10, Matthew 28:20}.  We do well to keep this close to our hearts.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living, no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament


My first thought as I watched the media coverage of the events in Uvalde was, do they really know that God is in this too?  Should we expect only good from God and not suffering?  The apostle Paul speaks many times in scripture of sharing in the sufferings of Christ.  Of course, we all know of the sufferings which Jesus endured in His final days.  These sufferings, these stripes suffered by Him, were suffered that we would be spared the same punishment.  It is Jesus who became sin on our behalf {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  One of the most difficult jobs this weekend falls upon the pastor who attempts to somehow rationalize the events in Texas with a loving God.  The two don't seem interchangeable.  We don't often associate God with pain and suffering.  When we are afflicted, our very first question seems to always be, "Why me, God?"  In reality, God has never once departed from His home in us.  Paul writes in Galatians of the indwelling Christ {Galatians 2:20}.  If indeed Christ Jesus is in me, and I believe He is, then He is in me no matter the circumstances or what I am going through.  He has never left me.  So, the next time tragedy comes knocking, and of this we can be sure, remember one thing.  The one constant that we have when we hurt...is God.  


Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of pities and the God of all consolation.  Who is counseling us in very affliction, through the consolation with which we ourselves are being consoled by God.

2 Corinthians 1: 3-4, Concordant New Testament


~Scott~ 

No comments: