Sunday, May 8, 2022

The Pastors Blacklist

 




Let brotherly fondness be remaining.  Be not forgetting hospitality, for through this some were oblivious when lodging messengers.  

Hebrews 13: 1-2, Concordant New Testament


I would be curious as to how many Christians out there are familiar with the pastor's blacklist.  Pastors blacklist?  Yes, the pastors blacklist.  That unofficial document on which the names of all who have abandoned the church are inscribed.  The first time I became aware of this practice was when I approached a former church I had attended for prayer, only to be told that the pastor now had "other obligations."  Really?  Although it does not sound too Christ like to me, this practice continues today.  So, let's talk about fellowship within the church.  For if we have fellowship within the church, then we need not fear the pastor's blacklist.  How is it that you see fellowship?  Do you count fellowship only with those believers who worship at your particular house of God?  When other Christians move to another church, which happens more often than people want to admit, do you write them off as no longer being "one of the brethren?"  Or, do you do as Christ commanded, and continue in fellowship with others even though they might not be in your immediate circle of believers {1 John 1:7}.  To me, fellowship is a celebration of He who is in me.  That being Christ Jesus {Galatians 2:20}.  In fellowship with other believers, we are afforded the opportunity to praise and glorify Jesus for His works.  In fellowship, we have the opportunity to share in the joys and sufferings of others around us.  Although many Christians may not agree, fellowship is also a way for us to nurture and bring into the reality of Jesus those who have never known Him.  It is Jesus who spoke for us to make followers of all the nations {Matthew 28:19-20}.  I'm sure that Jesus knew, like I do, that in these nations dwell those who have never known Jesus or are opposed to Him.  One glance at our society today and one can understand the difficulties in bringing in more followers of Jesus.  But how is it that we can bring in more followers of Jesus unless we ourselves fellowship with those who need Him the most?  Now, I'm not perfect, and I've certainly alienated my share of people in my life (big surprise there).  However, I'm also proud of each opportunity I've taken to speak Christ to someone I've met.  


How, then, should they be invoking One in Whom they do not believe?  Yet how should they be believing One of Whom they do not hear?  Yet how should they be hearing apart from one heralding?  Yet how should they be heralding if ever they should not be commissioned?  According as it is written: How beautiful are the feet of those bringing an evangel of good! 

Romans 10: 14-15, Concordant New Testament


In the gym I go to I have had the opportunity to strike up a friendship with a few people.  Are all of these Christians?  I doubt it.  In fact, that is never even my first question when meeting someone for the first time.  At this point, their beliefs are not as important to me.  What is important is the person.  Who are they?  What are they doing?  This is simple conversation and observation my friends.  Jesus Himself was criticized for spending time with sinners.  However, as Jesus said, it is not the healthy who need a physician but the sick {Luke 5:31}.  What opportunity do we miss by not speaking into the life of another?  For if we do not speak Christ into that life, who will?  Yes, God can lead anyone to tell them of His Son, but He chose us for a reason.  Perhaps by speaking Christ into someone else, Jesus is revealing a bit about ourselves in the process.  I have a few friends who will, upon reading this, immediately ask me who it is I have spoken Christ to today.  That's the institutional church way out of realizing that you yourself are also called to speak the truth of Jesus.  It's a cop out.  So, don't focus on what others may be doing, focus on who you yourself are being led to speak Jesus to.  True fellowship does not involve guilting others into speaking to those around them.  True fellowship is meeting someone where they are at in life.  This is exactly what Jesus did.  


Bear one another's burdens, and thus fill up the law of Christ. 

Galatians 6: 2, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: