Friday, June 10, 2022

Blinders




 Or are you not aware that your body is a temple of the holy spirit in you, which you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you are bought with a price.  By all means glorify God in your body.

1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, Concordant New Testament


The other day a friend at the gym mentioned that he had noticed that I had lost a bit of weight since I had been coming in.  Of course, this came as breaking news to me, and I'll tell you why.  When it comes to positive changes in my life, I'm usually the last one to see them.  While others around me may notice positive things going on as a result of my efforts, I usually am the last to see them.  Why is that?  Why are there times when we should be seeing the positives in our life and yet it takes the conformation of those around us in order for us to realize what others are telling us?  I have a theory, which is that we ourselves rarely see what it is that others are noticing in us.  This is why the affirmations of others are so very powerful in our lives.  This is why so many people have, on occasion, put pen to paper and began journaling their daily experiences.  For when we do just that, we can take a look back and possibly see what those around us are seeing.  I'll take these affirmations one step further, what is it that you see when you look in that mirror each morning?  Who is the person you see staring back at you?  Honestly, for quite a long time, when I would look into the mirror, I hated it.  I considered that mirror image to be a man God could not possibly love.  Ugly, full of sin and not worthy of the creation that He lovingly gave me.  That was my image of myself.  Can you see why I have always been the last one to recognize the positives which others see in me?  This was because my own image of myself was flawed.  It was fake news.  I was failing to realize the man I really was.  Who was this man I was not recognizing?  Well, as I gazed into my mirror each morning, instead of seeing Jesus looking back at me, I saw my own perception of who I had been led to believe that I was.  Of course, that was an out and out lie spoken by the accuser.  It's no secret that one of the main objectives of the devil is to remind us that we are far removed from or Lords love and presence.  How could God dwell in sinful man?  How indeed.  I credit the apostle Paul for helping to introduce me into the understanding of the man I truly am.  It is Paul who speaks to the truth of Christ in us in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  It is also Paul who reminds us of the truth that our body is the temple of Christ who is in us {1 Corinthians 6:19}.  What more powerful affirmation do we need?  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God.  Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament


One of my favorite scenes from The Chosen series comes as Jesus has just performed the miracle of filling the fisherman's boat with a huge catch of fish.  At first Simon (Peter) doubts what that this preacher can actually do as He says He can.  Eventually he agrees and tosses down his nets into the waters that only minutes before showed no signs of fish.  Immediately, his nets were filled with so many fish that it began to capsize the boat!  In awe, Simon approaches the man Jesus and falls to his knees before Him.  As he does, he asks Jesus why He is interested in him, a sinner?  It seems that even Simon struggled with identity issues.  However, I believe that in his case, much had to do with what he had been taught about his relationship with the Lord through the Jewish texts and teachers.  Of course, many of the teachings about our own relationship with God has not changed much since the days of Simon the fisherman.  We're still told that it is sin which prevents our heavenly Father from a closer relationship with His children.  Again, the lies of the accuser.  For it is Jesus who put sin to death on the cross {Romans 6:6}.  Sin is no longer an issue between ourselves and the Father.  Jesus is free to live in us as the Father intended.  But do we realize who it is that we truly are?  Who is it that we see in the mirror?  If you have the realization of Christ Jesus in you, all you see is Christ.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: