Saturday, June 25, 2022

The Long Goodbye

 




Now, whenever this corruptible should be putting on incorruption and this mortal should be putting on immortality, then shall come to pass the word which is written, swallowed up was death by victory.  Where, O Death, is your victory?  Where, O Death, is your sting?  

1 Corinthians 15: 54-55, Concordant New Testament


I had a conversation with a good friend the other day who recently lost her husband to the covid virus.  Although it has been awhile since his passing, she still grieves.  I can honestly say that I will think long and hard before I suggest to anyone that they "move on" from their own grieving process.  Because not so long ago this was me as I grieved the loss of my mother a few years ago.  Granted, there were those around me who insisted that I let her go and move on with my life.  I did just that, in my own time.  See, everyone of the Father's children is uniquely different in the fact that we react to things differently.  We may have been created by the Father in His own image, but He also created us with habits and behaviors which are unique to us.  This is exactly why the grieving process is a very delicate one.  Each of us does so in our own way.  Maybe it took me more time than others to move on from the loss of my mother, but that is how I do things.  My friend grieves in her own way.  Make no mistake, the time will eventually come when the sting of her loss will less painful.  I still remember my mother, but they are mostly happy memories now.  I have moved on from my own grieving process.  I also understand that there is a knowing in our hearts which makes the loss of a loved one less painful.  This revelation, when it comes, helps us to understand that this life which we live in the flesh is but temporary, and that we will be reunited with those who have gone before us.  I believe that this is part of the "Expectation of glory" which the apostle Paul speaks to in Colossians.  We who are in Christ Jesus know there is more to our own life than the physical which our eyes can currently see.  


To whom God wills to make known what are the glorious riches of this secret among the nations, which is Christ among you, the hope of glory. 

Colossians 1: 27, Concordant New Testament 


Wouldn't it be a tragedy if this physical life was all which we knew?  Live life to the fullest for tomorrow we die!  Seize the day!  The world is full of live for the moment philosophies all bent on stressing that we need to enjoy the moment because that's all there is to life.  Sorry, I'm not buying what they're selling.  There are even some contemporary Christian speakers who are less than enthusiastic about the afterlife.  The God I serve has never promised me a rose garden of a life here on earth.  My heavenly Father, however, does promise my eternity in Him {Romans 10:9, Ephesians 2:8, Romans 1:16}.  This is our hope, that the sting and pain of death may be mitigated by the reality of our own future in Christ.  Paul himself realized this as well when he mentions his own philosophy on life {Philippians 1:21}.  For Paul, his life...was Christ Jesus.  Death only hurried the moment when Jesus would be revealed for all {Romans 8:18}.  What a blessing to live in the knowing that the life I live in the flesh is but temporary, that we await the glorious revealing of  Christ Jesus.  This is what Paul was referring to when he asked, "O Death, where is your sting?"  There is indeed more to our existence than we see in this life in the flesh.  Come Lord Jesus!  


For if we are believing that Jesus died and rose, thus also, those who are put to repose, will God, through Jesus, lead forth together with Him. 

1 Thessalonians 4: 14, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 



No comments: