Sunday, July 24, 2022

My Kind Of Christian




 Casper calls Jason "My kind of Christian: He walks the walk and his goal is not to convert me, but to be friends and to play music - at least I think that's his goal." 

Jim Henderson and Matt Casper ~ Jim and Casper Go To Church


I'd like to put it out there that I've been a Christian for far too long.  I was raised in the faith of believing in the deity of God and salvation through the work of Christ Jesus upon the cross.  That's just what I believe.  Am the best of Christians?  Probably not, but after all of these years I continue to try to be.  Through the years I have developed many a friendship with believers and non-believers alike.  I think it's a gene I inherited from my mother, that others are seemingly drawn to me for some reason.  She had that ability and she used it well to tell others of her faith and trust in the Lord.  Me?  Not so much.  Don't get me wrong, I still talk to others about God and Jesus, but some years ago I found that always talking about my faith seemed to be a conversation killer.  So, I compromised and saved those conversations for people I thought were interested in listening.  Granted, I may have sacrificed a few opportunities to tell of the Lord along the way, but I think I also saved a few friendships.  I mean, who wants to be known as that crazy Christian guy right?  I'd rather be known as the guy who's friendly and easy to get along with.  But what if I could be both?  I mean, who says that I can't be friendly AND have conversations about the Jesus I know when it's appropriate?  I'm down with that.  I lament the point we've come to where talking about Jesus is seen as somewhat taboo, but that's a conversation for another day.  My first introduction into the revelation of Christ in me actually came from a close friend on a casual hike we were sharing.  You can't get any more non-traditional or "less preachy" than that.  At the end of the day, that's how I want my conversations about Jesus to be.  


"No longer am I terming you slaves, for the slave is not aware of what his lord is doing.  Yet I have declared you friends, for all that I hear from My Father I make known to you."

John 15: 15, Concordant New Testament


Not too long ago, I caused a commotion during our weekly Zoom conference call/pseudo Sunday sermon when I vigorously attempted to defend a point I was making.  In the end, some feelers were hurt and I came away not with the grace of Jesus but mad and upset.  NOT a good thing.  Obviously, these are the conversations I want to stay away from.  I prefer conversations where two people can talk good naturedly about this and that, and if that conversation leads to Jesus then so much the better.  I believe that the policy of apologetics in Christianity has served its purpose and should be phased out completely.  Those conversations only serve to alienate those we are trying to engage in conversation.  I prefer a personal one on one conversation like the one my friend and I shared when I first discovered the truth of Christ in me.  This is genuine, authentic Christianity.  These are the conversations Jesus had with the people of His time.  Why is it that we would do anything less?  Jesus never called us to defend His words at the expense of alienating others.  That wasn't His plan.  Everywhere you look in scripture, it is Jesus who is having conversations with others.  Was Jesus a apologist?  Was He a up and coming pastor needing to convert as many as He could?  No, Jesus shared the Father with any and all who were willing to listen.  That is where we've lost our way.  


He who is not loving knew not God, for God is love. 

1 John 4: 8, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: