Sunday, July 3, 2022

What I Say

 




But, to be sure, I am deeming all to be a forfeit because of the superiority of the knowledge of Christ Jesus, my Lord, because of whom I forfeited all, and am deeming it to be refuse, that I should be gaining Christ

Philippians 3: 8, Concordant New Testament


Many who have read these writings of mine will know that I have been in the process of wrapping my understanding around the knowing that is Christ in me.  I feel that I have come to a decent understanding of just who I am not only as a man but as One with Christ Jesus.  The apostle Paul, who many recognize as one of the lone voices speaking to the knowing of Christ Jesus in me, speaks not only of his own revelation {Galatians 1:15-16}, but of the reality which is Christ {Galatians 2:20}.  To be sure, I have spent many a hour in the writings of Paul as he describes not only his own revelation, but his confident knowing of Christ Jesus in his life.  He deemed all he had gained lost, choosing to gain only Christ {Philippians 3:8}.  However, I discovered something interesting about the writings of Paul along the way.  For a man who was confident of Christ Jesus in himself, Paul continued in referring to himself as "I."  For instance, in his base verse in Galatians, Paul refers to himself as "I HAVE" been crucified with Christ.  What does that tell us?  Is Paul reneging on his own devotion to the knowing of Christ in him?  Are his words just that, words?  I think not.  This is a big part of the email exchange I had with a friend the other day.  For I had noticed that Paul had continued in his supposed reference to himself as being independent...or had he?  What if, I asked my friend, what if Paul was so confident in his own knowing of Christ Jesus in him that he used the word "I" in confidence to speak of his union with Jesus?  Knowing that the old man (Saul, Paul) had been put to death and all that remained was Christ.  Knowing that when speaking to this knowledge, he could proclaim with confidence...I am One in Him!  For me, perhaps it would have been simpler if Paul had denoted his indwelling Christ by claiming "we?"  Not really.  See, if he were to step out and refer to Christ in him as We, that would denote two separate identities.  That wouldn't fly when describing Christ in him.  For there was no longer Paul...all that remains is Christ.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living: no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God.  Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament


Through my journey into knowing Christ in me, the reference to "I" has been seen as somewhat sacrilegious.  Uttered only by those who were as of yet unsure of their own union in Christ Jesus.  But what about Paul?  Paul, for sure, knew more than anyone the man he was in Christ.  Yet Paul continued to refer to himself as I.  Was this a misstep on his part?  I don't think so.  I believe that Paul was well assured of the union he himself had with the Lord.  We are assured of this throughout his writings.  Paul speaks passionately of his confidence in knowing that Christ Jesus lived in him.  All else was lost, all that remained was Jesus.  And he, Paul, was Jesus in union.  Now, imagine that you are Paul, and that you have that assurance that you are one with Christ.  How do you now refer to yourself for others?  Now, I propose that it would have been much easier if Paul had simply referred to the union of himself and Jesus as Christ...but that's not what he did here.  Paul, perhaps referring back to old habits, continued to refer to himself as I.  Or, which is my theory, Paul was so convinced of his knowing of Christ in him that the word I came to designate his union with the Lord Jesus.  Therefore, when he continues to refer to himself as I, he is referring to the Union life he now has in Jesus.  I feel that there is a pretty solid foundation to see this as being true.  I don't believe that Paul was trying to trip people up with his use of the word I.  On the contrary, I believe that he was demonstrating his own confidence of his union with Christ Jesus.  At least that's what I say.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: