Thursday, July 21, 2022

The Unpopular Church




 "So no, I'm not too big on religion...and not very fond of politics or economics either...and why should I be?  They are the man-created trinity of terrors that ravages the earth and deceives the ones I care about.  What mental turmoil and anxiety does any human face that is not related to one of those three?" 

William P Young ~ The Shack 


If you've been reading my posts for any period of time, then you probably know that my views on Jesus are the round peg that rarely fit into the square hole of the Christian religious system.  Some may even question my beliefs.  Don't get me wrong, I believe in God and in Christ Jesus as my Lord and savior.  Yet something happened along the way, and it was revealed to me that I could have a loving relationship with Jesus.  After all, this should be the aim of every believer, right?  Jesus did not come to Lord over us like a overseer, but to be in union with He and the Father {John 17:21}.  This should bring excitement to every believer, yet I look at the church and I see discontent.  This week I was saddened by the news that a local group of faith leaders called Lift Every Voice Oregon had signed onto a initiative that would seriously curtail the second amendment rights of every Oregonian.  Now, wherever you might stand on the gun control issue, I would argue that the church is absolutely the wrong way to get your message across.  Nonetheless, these local pastors, priests and pulpit pounders have suddenly interjected themselves into the halls of Oregon politics.  No matter the outcome of this ballot initiative, there will be those who come away with a very critical view of the mainstream church.  There will be many who claim that it's not the churches job to meddle in the politics of the world, and I agree.  This is but one instance of negative publicity which the mainstream church has brought upon itself lately.  This from a institution which is supposed to resist the impulses of the world {1 John 4:6}.  Yet we see the meddling of the church in almost every sector of our society from government to public policy.  It's as if the church is walking that fine line between the beliefs and teachings of the Lord and the world around us.  In my opinion, that line has become increasingly blurred over time.  


For ritual clean and undefiled with the Father is this; to be visiting the bereaved and widowed in their affliction, to be keeping oneself unspotted from the world 

James 1: 27, Concordant New Testament


As if the actions of our local so called faith leaders was not enough, this week we were told of yet another in the long line of church leaders who had been charged with inappropriate behavior with a child.  And people wonder why the mainstream church is unpopular.  People wonder why Christians are often demonized by those outside the church.  I want to be clear here, when I speak of the mainstream church, I am not speaking of the believers who make up the body of Christ.  No, when I speak of the mainstream church I am speaking of what it has become.  I am speaking to what WE have made it into.  That's right, every time we hear of the misdeeds of the mainstream church, it's not the building which has erred, but the individual.  I am firm believer that this monster which we have created is as far from the true intent of the Lord as they can be.  That in no way means the body of believers is far from the Lord, but the church system as we know it.  I believe that we were not meant to be lorded over by  overseers masquerading as Gods chosen.  It's all bunk, the praise and worship rock bands, the politically oriented sermons and the outdated theology that is the Sunday morning tithe.  If I were tasked with restoring the image of the mainstream church my very first decision would be to eliminate the church system.  For it is this system which, in my opinion, has bastardized the true intent of the body of Christ coming together in worship.  Why is it that so many, believers and non-believers alike, enjoyed the openness of home groups?  Because they were free of the restraints of the mainstream church service.  When we as the body of Christ are free and open in our gathering and worship of Him without the traditions of the church system, we can continue to grow in the Father as He intended.    


Now all those who believe also were in the same place and had all things in common.  And they disposed of the acquisitions and the properties, and divided them to all, forasmuch as some would have had need.  besides persevering day by day with one accord in the sanctuary, besides breaking bread home by home, they partook of nourishment with exultation and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor for the whole people.  Now the Lord added those being saved day by day in the same place. 

Acts 2: 44-47, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: