Monday, July 4, 2022

The Freedom We Find

 




For freedom Christ frees us!  Stand firm, then, and be not again enthralled with the yoke of slavery.

Galatians 5: 1, Concordant New Testament 


Nobody would have thought that over two hundred years ago that a rag tag band of disgruntled colonists would rise up, proclaim "Hell no" to a tyrannical king and forge what has endured as one of the greatest nations ever to be born.  Yet that is exactly what happened in these United States.  In fact, more than a few people have noticed the overbearing of the current administration and compared it to the shackles which we freed ourselves of all those years ago.  I don't know about that, but I do know that at times our very freedom which has been earned with the blood of so many is at risk once again.  But this is simply speaking politically and to society as we know it.  Is this the only freedom which we will ever know?  The apostle Paul proclaims that for freedom Christ Jesus has freed us {Galatians 5:1}.  What freedom is this?  Well, it is the freedom in Christ which I have come to know and enjoy.  But what is it that I have been freed from?  For one, I have been freed from a future condemned {Ephesians 2:8-9}.  I have also been freed from the shackles of sin which enslaved me for far too many years {Romans 6:6}.  This is freedom in Christ.  But there's more.  What Christ Jesus has provided not only for me, but for all of Gods children, is freedom from a broken religious system.  As Christians we've all been there, feeling that tug of guilt to be sure we were in Gods house each and every Sunday morning.  How have been told from a early age that if we behave right, if we obey the rules which the church sets forth, that we too can enjoy a future with Jesus.  Salvation...with conditions.  When I first read the words of Paul in Ephesians 2 something stirred in my heart.  For here was Paul telling me that it is through the grace of the Father by which I am saved, and not due to which rules I choose to follow.  So began my journey into freedom in Christ.  When I think back at all I have toiled in my own quest for freedom and acceptance in the eyes of my heavenly Father I have no regrets.  For this is the journey He chose me to follow.  


For in grace, through faith, are you saved, and this is not out of you; it is God's approach present, not of works, lest anyone should be boasting.

Ephesians 2: 8-9, Concordant New Testament


Who is it that does not desire to be free?  To be free to think and do as they wish?  That same desire to be free which two hundred years ago fueled the rise of a brand new nation also permeates the thoughts of many a Christian today longing to be free of the entrapments of a man-made religion.  To be free of the sin which they have been accused of since they were young enough to remember.  The other day, a good friend reminded us of the consequence of desiring freedom and yet not achieving it.  It is because of this fact that many churches worldwide are bleeding membership.  There is no freedom in religion.  That freedom we desire only comes from knowing Christ Jesus and the freedom only He can offer us.  It is not Jesus who demands we pay a certain tithe.  It has never been Jesus who required us to follow certain rules in order to know Him.  This all came about from organized religion.  Through organized religion, Jesus took a backseat.  In His place we instituted rules and regulations which needed to be followed before one could even know Christ.  Of course, that's all bunk!  Paul reminds us that it has never been about what we give, but about what the Father has given us.  What He has given to us has been described as the greatest gift ever.  The gift of Christ Jesus.  The gift of freedom.  In this case, freedom is never earned, but realized.  For I would never have known of the freedom which I have in Jesus were He not revealed in me {Galatians 2:20}.  Sadly, far too many believers have yet to notice  this revelation of the Father.  It is the same revelation by which Paul himself came to know Jesus {Galatians 1:15-16}.  As we celebrate another year of the freedom of our nation, let us pray that the Father will reveal in us He who brings true freedom.  


"Let it then be known to you, men, brethren that through this One is being announced to you the pardon of sins, and from all from which you could not be justified in the law of Moses, in this One everyone who is believing is being justified." 

Acts 13: 38-39, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 



No comments: