Sunday, August 14, 2022

In His Presence




 We may be coming, then, with boldness to the throne of grace, that we may be obtaining mercy and finding grace for opportune help. 

Hebrews 4: 16, Concordant New Testament 


The word sanctuary is partly defined as a place of refuge or safety.  Using this definition, many people have stuck the name sanctuary on whatever places they deem make them feel safe and unhindered.  We have sanctuaries in church, sanctuary cities and personal sanctuaries.  Pretty much anyplace which makes us feel safe can be labeled as a sanctuary I'm guessing.  For me personally, one of my sanctuaries is the local gym I have been going to for some time.  It's here where I concentrate on myself and ignore the background noise going on around me.  Where is it that you find yourself being safe?  At home?  At work?  The local bar?  Like I said, we've used the sanctuary word to describe someplace that makes us feel safe and secure.  As a young believer, I often wondered why it was that the main part of the church was often named the sanctuary.  Now I know.  It is here where we often gather in worship to the Lord.  It is the church sanctuary which we all too often associate with the Lord's presence here on earth.  This isn't by design, but a remnant of years and years of church theology.  Back in the day, common temple worshippers were actually forbidden from entering the so called holy of holies...the sanctuary of the temples of that day.  Only the priests were authorized to venture into the holy place where it was believed the presence of the Lord dwelled.  Knowing this, can anyone be faulted for believing that there is a disconnect between ourselves and God?  I once believed this to be true, but this is also what I was once taught.  Take a look at many popular Christian songs and/or hymns of old and see how the author is longing to "see" the Lord.  Far too often, we refer to "Being in the Lord's presence" as if God were somewhere else besides with the children He loves.  Knowing the Lord as I now do, I don't believe that this was His intention at all.  If we can say that a sanctuary is anywhere we can rest in the Lord's presence, then the entire world might just be His sanctuary.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament


This entire idea of a sanctuary holding the presence of the Lord is an idea perpetrated by the church over the years.  I've seen well meaning pastors jump on the opportunity to proclaim that God Himself was present in their church sanctuary.  I would have to agree with that, although not for the reasons you might be thinking.  I agree that God is with us because this is the truth of Christ Jesus in us.  The apostle Paul, who must have been seen as quite the radical in his day, proclaimed that it was Jesus Himself who lived in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Perhaps relating the same truth as Paul, John proclaims that Christ was sent into the world that we "Might live through Him" {1 John 4:9}.  Once we have the revealing that Christ is in us, then we can rest in the knowing that there is nowhere we will ever go where we are not in His presence.  As I said, the entire world is His sanctuary.  Even in the most hectic places we may find, we will find His presence.  There is nowhere we can go where God is not with us.  All of you up and coming pastors out there need to take note of this before you proclaim that your church is that one special sanctuary which God has blessed with His presence.  That idea smacks of the false claim uttered by Satan in the garden {Genesis 3:4-5}.  Satan deceived Adam and Eve into believing that if they took of the forbidden fruit that they would suddenly "Be like God."  News flash, dude, you were ALREADY like God.  It is in His image that we were created {Genesis 2:7}.  We were never created to be outside of our Fathers presence.  We are forever in His sanctuary.  


There is no independent, self-operating self in the universe, except the One who calls Himself the I AM {Ex 3:14} and says, "I am the Lord and there is none else, there is no God beside Me" {Isa 45:5}.

No Independent Self ~ Norman Grubb


~Scott~ 

No comments: