Friday, August 19, 2022

When Jesus Was Cool

 




Here's to you Mrs. Robinson, Jesus loves you more than you will know

Mrs. Robinson ~ Simon and Garfunkel 


I know it sounds strange, but growing up it seems I learned more about the nature of Jesus from pop culture than from any sermon I sat through.  We're not talking the story of Jesus, but His nature.  The man Jesus was.  For decades we have been bombarded with the very idea of who Jesus truly is.  Jesus is kind, longsuffering, merciful and full of grace.  In fact, just about any aspect of God's nature we will also discover in Christ Jesus.  It is Jesus who proclaimed that if we see Him then we have seen the Father as well {John 14:9}.  It is impossible to look upon Jesus and not see the Father as well.  I've noticed that back in the 70's that modern pop culture seemed to embrace Jesus and what He stood for.  I'm not sure if it was the result of the turbulent times in our country or not, but the idea of Jesus and what He might do could be found everywhere.  Jesus was cool.  From popular music to television and movies, Jesus was the talk of the town.  The crescendo seemed to peak in 1971 with the release of Andrew Lloyd Weber's film Jesus Christ Superstar.  By 1980, the Jesus themed rock opera had grossed 237 million worldwide.  But that wasn't all, thanks to the success of the film, songs from the soundtrack played through radio stations from coast to coast.  I recall listening to the title track of the soundtrack more than once and wondering why I had not heard it in church on Sunday.  Such was the popularity of Jesus in that day.  And what of the religious themed movies?  Who can forget Charlton Heston flinging those tablets of stone against the canyon walls in the film The Ten Commandments?  I don't know about you, but after the first few times seeing that movie I feared what God might do to me when I did not obey Him.  I'm sure that I was not the only one whose own perception of God and Jesus was changed by popular culture.  For good or bad, Jesus was being brought front and center into our lives.  


"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also.  And henceforth you know Him and have seen Him."  Philip is saying to Him, "Lord, show us the Father and it is sufficing us."  Jesus is saying to him, "So much time I am with you, and you do not know Me, Philip!  He who has seen Me has seen the Father, and how are you saying, 'show us the Father'?  Are you not believing that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me?  The declarations which I am speaking to you I am not speaking from myself.  Now the Father, remaining in Me, He is doing His works."

John 14: 7-10, Concordant New Testament


One of the most longstanding pop culture created things about Jesus is simply...what would Jesus do?  We've seen it plastered on everything from bracelets to t shirts.  I won't lie, I still own a few WWJD bracelets I got from church.  What is it meant to imply to those both wearing this Jesus fashion statement and those who see someone wearing it?  Exactly what it says...what would Jesus do in any particular situation?  Would Jesus flash a rude gesture to someone who cuts us off in traffic?  Would Jesus condemn someone who doesn't quite believe the same way that we do?  Of course not.  If we've studied scripture long enough, we know what Jesus would do in these situations.  So, when we're presented with another negative situation we need not wonder...what would Jesus do?  The WWJD bracelet is one thing which I can understand having a positive impact on the lives of others.  However, if it becomes simply a trendy fashion statement then we are definitely missing the point.  Maybe all of this pop culture Jesus craze was created for a reason.  Created not by man, but by a loving Father longing to connect with His wayward children.  I can believe in that more than most of the movies I've seen.  Jesus will always be cool.  


But, to be sure, I am deeming all to be a forfeit because of the superiority of the knowledge of Christ Jesus, my Lord, because of whom I forfeited all, and am deeming it to be refuse, that I should be gaining Christ.

Philippians 3: 8, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: