Monday, January 9, 2023

Raising The Dead (Letting Go)



 



Wherefore also, lest I should be lifted by the transcendence of the revelations, there was given to me a splinter in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, that he may be buffering me, lest I be lifted up.  For this I entreat the Lord thrice, that it should withdraw from me.  And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, for My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With the greatest relish, then. will I rather be glorifying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ should be tabernacling over me.  Wherefore I delight in infirmities, in outrages, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake, for, whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful. 

2 Corinthians 12: 7-10, Concordant New Testament 


The apostle Paul had an issue in his life.  Something that was causing him physical distress.  Paul's predicament is referred to us as a "Thorn" in his flesh.  Now, whether an actual thorn or just the apostles reference to a difficult situation in his life, it was indeed causing him difficulty.  So, he did the only thing he knew to do, he offered his situation in prayer that the Lord would remove it from him.  Not just once, but we're told three times Paul prayed over this issue.  To his prayers came a interesting response.  "My grace is sufficient for you" {2 Corinthians 12:9}.  Paul is told that the power of Christ Jesus is perfected in his suffering.  As far as lessons learned, this is by far one of the most difficult for the believer.  That Jesus, although He has the ability to bring us out of any situation, would choose instead for us to endure in our struggle.  Why?  Because in our struggles the power of Christ is perfected.  The lesson to the apostle was simple, when you are weak, then you are strong in Christ {2 Corinthians 7:10}.  Far too often, we enter into prayer with the expectation that the Lord will grant us what we ask of Him.  And why not, we're told that all we need to do is ask of Him and we will receive what we are asking for {Matthew 7:7}.  But what if what we're asking for is out of line with what the Father wants to show us?  Yes, He could have lifted Paul out of His struggle, but would the apostle have learned this vital lesson had He done so?  Probably not.  We need to be careful of seeing God as simply a lottery ticket we can claim whenever we are in need.  More than a few years ago, the mainstream church went through the "Name it and claim it" phase.  It preached abundance and success through the prayers of those who asked.  The bottom line was that God WANTED you to have money.  The reason that you didn't was because you had not asked Him.  Remember our friend Paul?  He asked the Lord THREE TIMES that his struggle would be removed from him.  I can see that Paul would not be a good preacher to spread the name it and claim it theology.  


Not that I already obtained, or am already perfected.  Yet I am pursuing, if I may be grasping also that for which I was grasped also by Christ Jesus.  Brethren, not as yet am I reckoning myself to have grasped, yet one thing --forgetting, indeed, those things which are behind, yet stretching out to those in front -- toward the goal am I pursuing for the prize of Gods calling above in Christ Jesus

Philippians 3: 12-14, Concordant New Testament 


My late mother had a saying which she would tell me whenever I felt that God was ignoring my prayers.  She would often tell me, "Let go and let God."  Amen!  I recently had first hand experience of her words in action once again.  For those who are frequent readers of this page, you know of the recent encounters I have endured while in my daily job duties.  One of these encounters was with a young lady named Heather.  Heather already had a few thorns in her side when I came across her, a visible drug addiction as well as living on the street.  However, in a surprising moment of compassion, I was able to speak kindness into a life that more than likely had not heard it in far too long.  I have no doubt that I left her in a good place as far as hearing that the Father had nothing but love for her.  Yet I had a strong feeling of guilt.  As I saw it, I failed Heather.  I had left her basically in the same place I found her.  I was unable to help her physically.  But I had forgotten the words of my mother...Let go and let God.  It was never the Lords intention that I deliver her from the hell she was living.  However, it was His intent that in that moment that I would speak into her the love of the Father.  It's a pretty safe bet that this young lady has had precious few words of self affirmation spoken to her since she has been on the streets.  It was never my purpose to lift her out of her addiction.  It was the Fathers purpose that I would bless her with the kindness she's been searching for. 


~Scott~ 

No comments: