Saturday, March 18, 2023

Raising The Dead (God's Love)

 




Perceive what manner of love the Father has given us, that we may be called children of God.  And we are!  Therefore the world does not know us, for it did not know Him.

1 John 3: 1, Concordant New Testament


Growing up, I remember one of the ways that my mother would make me feel better when I was hurting.  In those times, she would often hold me and tell me that God loved me.  At the time, I was more interested in hearing that my mom loved me, but I grew up at least knowing that God loved me as well.  I found myself thinking of those times this week as I struggled through a few of life's situations.  I admit, there are still times in my life where I need to hear those words...God loves me.  You'd think that being a Christian born and raised that I would already be assured of this, but I still have my moments where I need to be reassured.  In my heart I know this to be true, but it is still good to hear it.  I think of all of those whom we might come into contact with in our daily lives, and how much they may desperately need that confirmation as well.  When was the last time that you told someone that God loves them?  Can you think of anything more life changing than hearing those words?  I recently had the experience of speaking to a girl named Heather who happened to be living on the streets of Portland.  As we talked, she told me that she missed her family but that she didn't want them to see her in the condition she was in.  Her breaking point came when I tried to assure her that God loved her.  At this point, this tough street kid started to cry.  I'm guessing that at that moment Heather needed to hear that God indeed loved her.  How powerful of a statement is that?  The apostle John marvels at this as well as he reveals the Lords love for us.  A love that assures us that we are His children {1 John 3:1}.  Is it any wonder that my mother would choose those times when I needed it the most to remind me of the Fathers love for me?  I believe that most people do not hear those words quite enough.  


And we know and believe the love which God has in us.  God is love, and he who is remaining in love is remaining in God, and God is remaining in him.  

1 John 4: 16, Concordant New Testament 


As believers, I believe that each and every church service should began with one statement...God loves you!  We spend far too much time focused on the do's and don'ts of Christian life that we sometimes forget that it is the love of the Father that is at the base of our belief.  Jesus tells us not to covet.  Does He do this out of a sense of right and wrong?  Perhaps, but I believe that His main focus is His love for us.  It is because of His love for us that He gave Himself in our place {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  We also understand that the very nature of the Father is one of love {1 John 4:8}.  He is not a God of hellfire and brimstone as the Old Testament at times depicts.  The Fathers main purpose is not to remain in heaven and watch for the next opportunity where we mess up.  No, because of His love for us, He remains in us today {Galatians 2:20}.  In spite of our former condition, it is God who loved us enough to send His Son to die for us {Romans 5:8}.  There is absolutely nothing that will ever separate us from the love of the Father {Romans 8:37-39}.  The message of Gods love for us could be a strong one for someone in desperate need to hear it.  Do you know someone who needs to be reminded of the Fathers love for them today?  I remember in those times when I needed it the most I was reminded of the Fathers love for me.  I don't think I'm wrong when I say that He desires all of His children to know of His love for us.  


He who is not loving knew not God, for God is love. 

1 John 4: 8, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: