Sunday, March 26, 2023

The Unchurched

 




God is spirit, and those who are worshipping Him must be worshipping in spirit and truth.

John 4: 24, Concordant New Testament 


I had a friend ask me the other day why it is that I do not sit in a church pew on Sundays anymore.  Am I angry with God?  Have I given up on Him?  On the contrary, I am neither angry with My Lord not have I turned my back to Him.  If anything, my absence from traditional houses of worship has brought me closer to the Lord.  But how can that be?  Traditionally the church has been seen as the focal point of all things Christian.  The church is where we BECAME Christians.  In the church we were nurtured, taught and surrounded by all that is in the Lord.  Yeah, maybe in a perfect world.  As I related to my friend, the church has its own issues just like any other man made establishment.  The church has its hierarchies.  The church has its own internal conflicts, and the church indeed has its own personality conflicts.  There are those who step foot into a church fully expecting to see the green grasses of the other side of the fence.  Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.  At least that was my experience.  My friend has come to believe that I have somehow fallen off the Christian wagon and that it's his God ordained mission to bring me back on board.  Good luck with that.  He's not alone, for there have been many well meaning believers who have tried to entice me back into the church fold.  So far I have steadfastly resisted their efforts.  There have been those who have taken to referring to me as somehow "unchurched."  If they believe that, so be it.  In my heart I know that I am closer to God than I ever was on a Sunday morning in a brick and mortar building.  It was not the church that revealed Christ Jesus in me.  That revelation came to me from the Father after I had left.  If you listened to my friend, I should be alone and desperately searching for God.  Well, I'm not searching for the Lord.  I am experiencing Him each day.  


Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves, according as the custom of some is, but entreating, and so much rather as you are observing the day drawing near.

Hebrews 10: 25, Concordant New Testament 


I've often heard the verse commonly taken from the book of Hebrews and used by many a Christian when it comes to recruiting people into their own congregations.  That we are not to forsake our gathering unto the Lord as some have {Hebrews 10:25}.  Sounds pretty cut and dry, right?  Thou must go to church!  Well, the problem we run into when referring to this passage is that was written to believers during a time of intense Christian persecution.  The Romans had decreed that those of the way (followers of Jesus) were to be persecuted and prosecuted for professing their faith.  Therefore, many believers got into the habit of meeting in secret to avoid being seen by the authorities.  The author of Hebrews is pointing out to the believer not to forget to gather in worship of the Lord.  I have always wondered just what a gathering of the early church of the followers of Jesus was like.  Would it in any way resemble the churches we have raised up?  Were there loud music bands?  Was there an offering?  Were there long sermons?  From what I have managed to learn of the early church, there were none of these modern church trappings in the early church.  Instead, what we would have found is a community of believers coming together to talk of and celebrate the Lord Jesus.  When I find a church such as that, I'll be the first one in line every Sunday morning.  


Now all those who believe were also in the same place and had all things in common.  And they disposed of acquisitions and properties, and divided them to all, forasmuch as some would have had need.  Besides persevering day by day with one accord in the sanctuary, besides breaking bread home by home, they partook of nourishment with exaltation and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor for the whole people.  Now the Lord added to those being saved day by day in the same place. 

Acts 2: 44-47, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 


No comments: