Thursday, March 30, 2023

Selling Jesus




And he dispatches to the farmers, at season, a slave, that from the farmers he may be getting the fruits of the vineyard.  And taking him they lash him and dispatch him empty.  And again he dispatches to them another slave, and that one, pelting with stones, they hit his head and dispatch him in dishonor.  And again another he dispatches, and that one they kill, and many others, lashing these, indeed, yet killing those.  "Still one had he, as son, his beloved.  He dispatches him also, last, to them saying that 'they will be respecting my son.'  Yet those farmers say to themselves that 'this is the enjoyer of the allotment.  Hither!  We should be killing him, and the enjoyment of the allotment will be ours!"  And, taking him, they kill him and cast him outside of the vineyard.  What, then, will the lord of the vineyard be doing?  He will be coming and destroying the farmers and will be giving the vineyard to others.
Mark 12: 1-9, Concordant New Testament

I was thinking this week of just how hard the mainstream church is attempting to pull in new believers into their congregations,  At the same time, we are seeing what can best be described as an exodus of people from the traditional church.  The church I, as well as others, grew up with.  Does the traditional church need to keep selling itself in order to draw in more and more people?  Do we need to keep selling Jesus in order to draw more potential believers into our churches?  There are those who would argue that we indeed need to keep trying to fill the pews of the big congregations.  But what does a large congregation mean to you?  Success?  More believers?  Whenever I see a church with a large congregation I think of only one thing...dollar signs.  That's right, the more people in our church congregations and the more monies are brought forward in those Sunday morning collection plates.  Selling Jesus has become quite the business.  I recently spent a Sunday morning enjoying the fellowship of a few friends.  All were believers yet not everyone has taken the same path to knowing the Lord.  What would I say to the staunch church enthusiast who curiously asked me why I would choose to dine with friends than worship in church on a Sunday morning?  Well, the fact is that I see Jesus more represented in this group of friends than I would in any church sanctuary.  This is the church of Christ Jesus, wherever two or more are gathered in His name, He is surely there {Mathew 18:20}.  

For where two or three are, gathered in My name, there am I in the midst of them.
Matthew 18: 20, Concordant New Testament 

I used to think that the scriptural reference to the church of Christ was in some way related to a brick and mortar church.  In fact, my church resume includes time spent in a church of Christ.  It wasn't until I was older with a few more years under my belt that I realized the truth of the church of Christ Jesus.  The church of Christ Jesus has no sermons, no loud worship music and (gasp!) no offerings.  What the church of Jesus does offer is fellowship in Him.  This is exactly what I was experiencing recently with my fellow Jesus believers, fellowship in Him.  I'm sorry, but I just don't feel that there too many fellowship opportunities presented for fellowship in the mainstream church, but that's a rant for another day.  I've come to understand just why we are seeing such a large exodus from our traditional churches, and it has nothing to do with building the best and fanciest church buildings.  It would seem that what does matter to people is a spiritual connection with the Lord.  What people are searching for is to KNOW a relationship with Jesus.  Unfortunately, our brethren in the mainstream church haven't gotten the message yet.  And so the people leave, hoping to find Jesus somewhere else.  But Jessus isn't One we need to spend years searching for.  Many believers fail to realize the gift which we have been given.  The gift of knowing Jesus in a more personal way.  The apostle Paul points this out in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  Not only is the spirit of the Lord with those who gather in His name, but the spirit of Christ Jesus is with us each and every day.  So tell me, would you rather work at accepting the idea of Jesus which the church is selling, or knowing the true Christ which God has given to us for free?  

With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.
Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 

~Scott~ 


No comments: