Friday, March 10, 2023

Separation Anxiety

 




With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.  

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


The other day I heard of a story of a young man who, while facing a trial in his life, came to the realization that as he went about his day, that God was there right with him.  I do not dispute this belief.  Modern Christians are quick to point to the fact that God continues to be a integral part of our lives...albeit from a distance.  Growing up in the traditions and legalism of the mainstream church, I came to accept as fact the idea that my Lord was not a physical part of my life, but One who sat in heaven and manipulated events to His choosing.  Should I need help, and if it fit his will, God would manipulate events in my favor.  However, if I was acting in a not so holy way, then the Lord would deem it in His power to withhold blessings or allow discomfort in my life.  Thus was my early relationship with God.  Like many who attended the churches of our land, I had separation anxiety.  I was in His earthbound plane while God controlled things from the heavens.  Sadly, this continues to be the view of the mainstream church today.  Nothing much has changed as far as the believers relationship with the Father.  Sure, we can proclaim that we love God, but we come up short in our desire for a personal relationship with Him.  The idea that God is with us in the midst of our trials is not a new concept.  Jesus promised that He would be with us always {Matthew 28:20}.  Of course, this introduces the question, if Jesus is with us, can He be two places at once?  Does Jesus pick and choose when and where He accompanies us?  What if I were to suggest that not only is Jesus with us in our trials, but that we walk through those times AS Jesus?  Is this statement worthy of blasphemy?  Perhaps, but reading the words of the apostle Paul presents us with a different view of Jesus.  One the mainstream church seems to have missed altogether.  


Now if the spirit of Him who rouses Jesus from among the dead is making its home in you, He who rouses Christ Jesus from among the dead will also be vivifying your mortal bodies because of His spirit making its home in you.  

Romans 8: 11, Concordant New Testament 


When it comes to separation anxiety, I'd say that the mainstream church puts it into practice.  Separation anxiety in the believer is the struggle to identify the true God from the one the church has propped over the centuries.  Have you ever longed for a closer relationship with the Lord?  Wondered if you were of good enough behavior that God would allow Himself into your heart?  That was my struggle.  I longed to embrace God as I had my own father, yet church teachings told me that this was not possible until I became perfect in the Lords eyes.  I needed to prove to God that I was worth that relationship with Him.  Does this sound like the love of the Father?  Does this sound Like God loved me enough to breath into me the breath of life?  If I wasn't good enough for me to have a personal relationship with God, what was He even there for?  Fortunately, through a good friend, I came across the words of the apostle Paul.  Paul proclaims that those who long for a personal relationship with God can have it.  It is Christ, explains Paul, who lives in us {Galatians 2:20}.  It is the spirit of the Lord that is making His home in you {Romans 8:11}.  Keep in mind that this is probably something you will not hear from the pulpit of too many church congregations.  I have often wondered why the church would choose not to proclaim the liberating truth of Christ Jesus in us.  Instead, they continue to adhere to the idea of the Father being separate from the Children He loves so dearly.  It is no wonder that so many believers suffer from this separation anxiety.  


He who is not loving knew not God, for God is love. 

1 John 4: 8, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: