Saturday, April 8, 2023

At The Cross

 




In this was manifested the love of God among us, that God has dispatched His only-begotten Son into the world that we should be living through Him.

1 John 4: 9, Concordant New Testament 


I was talking with a friend the other day who was very much looking forward to the good Friday and resurrection Sunday services at his church.  Of course, he is steeped in the traditions of the Eastern Orthodox religion so I cut him some slack.  This Sunday morning, my thoughts of Jesus will be of a different nature.  I will not be celebrating Jesus as the crucified man who lives in heaven.  Instead, I will be celebrating my life in Him.  This is the Jesus I have come to know.  Of course, I was once like my Eastern Orthodox friend, somewhat dependent upon the traditions of the church to forge my own view of who Jesus was.  I looked upon the cross on the wall in the sanctuary and my thoughts turned towards He who gave His life for me.  But that's where the story usually ended.  Yes, Jesus gave Himself that my sins would be forgotten, but that was all I knew of Him.  The Jesus I once knew was in heaven at the Fathers side watching over me.  There was no personal connection nor relationship there.  In my mind, that cross was the end of the road for Jesus.  His work done, He now was free to relax in the Fathers presence.  Sadly, this is the same view of Jesus which the church speaks of today.  Is this the Jesus you know?  If so, then you might be a bit confused when I say that it is not the Jesus I have come to know in my heart.  The Jesus I know is not distant, but is very much a part of my daily life.  The apostle Paul speaks to this reality of Jesus in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  Yet when I speak of the Jesus I know, I'm usually met with a blank look.  This is not the Jesus they have heard about most of their lives.  I recently thought of my journey to come to know Christ in my life and I was left with one glaring question.  What good is it to only know ABOUT Jesus?  For if all we know of Jesus is what we've heard then we're missing the point.  It was never the intention of the Father that we should know about Jesus.  That produces no personal connection with Him.  I can hear of the life and times of Jesus all day long and still never know Him.  That is not the Jesus I now know.  


Now they found the stone rolled away from the tomb.  Now, entering also, they found not the body of the Lord Jesus.  And it occurred, at their being perplexed concerning this, Lo! two men standing by them in flashing attire.  Now at their becoming affrighted and inclining their faces to the earth, they say to them, "Why are you seeking the living with the dead?  He is not here, but was roused.  Be reminded how He speaks to you, being still in Galilee, saying that, 'The Son of mankind must be given up into the hands of men, sinners, and be crucified, and the third day rise."  And they are reminded of His declarations.

Luke 24: 2-8, Concordant New Testament 


One of my favorite passages of scripture which we find concerning Jesus can be found at the end of the book of Luke.  There, on the first resurrection morning, those arriving at the tomb of the crucified Christ were met with a something unexpected.  For instead of finding the body of the crucified Lord, they instead found only His burial garments in His now empty tomb.  They were also surprised at the appearance of men in "flashing attire" who asked of them one of the most important questions in history.  Why are you seeking the living with the dead."  Indeed!  The same can be said of those seeking a closer relationship with Jesus today.  Why are you seeking the living among the dead?  Why are you seeking the living Christ through a dead theology?   For He is not dead, nor is He distant from those who seek Him.  The church mantra will proclaim that Jesus died on that cross and then ascended into heaven to sit beside the Father.  Anyone who hears this might come to the conclusion that the cross was the end of the line for Jesus.  That all we can hope for is to be "Like" Him.  Why do we seek the living amongst the dead?  If we seek to know Jesus, we can best start by looking within ourselves.  For He did not rise from the grave to be simply a memory, but that we would be one with He and the Father {John 17:21}.  This is the Jesus I know.  It is also the Jesus you can know as well.  He is not dead, but is alive in us.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: