Saturday, April 22, 2023

Raising The Dead (A Son Comes Home)

 




And rising, he came to his father.  "Now, at his still being far away, his father perceives him and has compassion, and running, falls on his neck and fondly kisses him.  Now the son said to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight.  No longer am I worthy to be called your son.  Make me as one of your hires men.'  Yet the father said to his slaves, 'Quick!  Bring forth the first robe, and put it on him, and give him a ring for his hand and sandals for his feet.  And bring the grain fed calf, and sacrifice it, and, eating, we may be merry, for this my son was dead and revives; he was lost and is found.'  And they began to make merry.  

Luke 15: 20 - 24, Concordant New Testament 


I was once again reminded this week of the human side of the drug crisis affecting the Portland area.  Just over a year ago, I came across a young man who, for all appearances, appeared to be asleep while waiting for a train.  Unfortunately, the reality was that the young man had passed away the night before of a drug overdose.  I wondered at the time just what would bring a young man to this point.  I also wondered at what his family must be thinking.  Were they looking for him?  The answers to those questions came this week.  The other day I was approached by a woman who claimed to be the young man mother.  She had driven all the way from California to see the exact place where her boy had spent his final hours.  She shared a few memories with me of the young man who was her son.  A photo of a lively young man who seemed to be happy.  She shared with me that her son, Jevon, had ran away from Redland, California some time ago and she wondered where he could have been.  I didn't ask, but someone from the authorities had obviously contacted her once they had established the boys identity.  That call must have been one of the worst moments of her life.  I shared with her what I remembered about that morning.  How I stayed with her son for as long as I could before the EMS took him away.  How I wondered what his family must have been going through.  Wondering if he was a believer.  I never heard from the mother if Jevon knew the Lord, and I didn't want to dig up too many bad memories for her.  She thanked me for being there with Jevon that day and began her return journey home.  I was once again left with the questions of what could have been.  Did Jevon know the Lord?  Had he ever hear the name of Jesus?  I can only imagine that, as had the father of the prodigal son, that our Father anxiously awaited the return of His beloved child once again.  


For you died, and your life is hid together with Christ in God.

Colossians 3: 3, Concordant New Testament 


I was not prepared to address the philosophical question of how God sees the unsaved this morning.  The church will tell us all the do's and do nots which we will need to follow in order that we do not face the Father as one of the unsaved heathen.  But what of someone who has never heard the name of Jesus?  I know, I know, who could possibly not hear of Jesus?  But in a world filled with the plots and disinformation of our accuser, anything is possible.  So I believe in my heart that it is entirely possible that one not consider the name of Jesus.  Now the question becomes, how does God see those who have never known His Son?  Well, we know that God has never been about retribution, but redemption.  We know that the very nature of God is love {1 John 4:8}.  So, is it entirely possible that a Father with nothing but love for His child would put all of that aside to condemn him?  I will never buy into that line of thinking.  Our heavenly Father is not like our earthly fathers.  His love is never ending.  His thoughts are always for us.  We were lovingly created in our Fathers own image {Genesis 1:27}.  Does this sound like a God who would rather condemn us for not knowing Him?  Why would a Father who has given so much effort to ensure that we are with Him for eternity suddenly turn his back on us?  Like I said, you will never convince me that this is how God treats His children.  In the movie Come Sunday, the reverend Carlton Pearson is punished by the church for daring to speak out against the existence of hell.  If God had the opportunity save His child, why wouldn't He?  Jevon has returned home once again.  I pray you have finally found peace young man.  


In Whom the God of this eon blinds the apprehensions of the unbelieving so that the illumination of the evangel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of the invisible God, does not irradiate them. 

2 Corinthians 4: 4, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

If he didn't find peace in this age, perhaps in the next.