Sunday, April 16, 2023

Doing Gods Business

 




If anyone should be saying that "I am loving God," and should be hating his brother, he is a liar; for he who is not loving his brother whom he has seen can not be loving God whom he has not seen.

1 John 4: 20, Concordant New Testament 


Some time ago I lived by a simple philosophy, that I would treat others in the same way that they treated me.  Sounds good, until you run into the whole love one another thing which Jesus calls upon us to do {John 13:34}.  Yet it's obvious that I was living in the here and now, concerned only with a flesh reaction to a flesh provocation.  Not only is there no room to exhibit the indwelling Christ when we behave in such a way, but we tend to alienate quite a few potential friends as well.  One of the first questions I asked my friend as I was exploring this revelation of Christ in me was...where was Jesus when I behaved in this way?  Well, it turns out that He was in the same exact place that He had always been, within me.  But wait, Jesus was still in me despite my bad behavior?  Yes.  I have never known Jesus to go back on His word, so when He says that He will be one with the Father and me, He keeps His word {John 17:21}.  The trouble is, I had forgotten just who I was in Him as I set about to institute the Lords revenge upon more than a few people who, in my eyes, so obviously deserved it.  I was going about doing Gods business.  It is, in fact, the Lord who take care of that little matter of dealing with those who have wronged others {Romans 12:19}.  As one might expect, it doesn't work out too well the other way around.  For when we take it upon ourselves to take revenge upon others, can we not expect the same in return when our turn comes around?  And the vicious cycle continues.  I will be the first to admit that at times it is hard as all hell to turn the other cheek.  People and situations of this world will often drive you to the point of going Rambo on anyone you feel deserves it.  In your eyes, you are justified to take action.  But are we?  Were we also not graced with a Savior the same way those around us were {John 3:16-17}.  Did Jesus not warn us that this is what the life of the believer would entail {John 16:33}?  We also once walked as those who are in the world walk {Romans 3:23}.  Yet it is by the love and grace of the Lord that He called us out of that life.  


They are of the world; therefore they are speaking of the world, and the world is hearing them.  We are of God.  He who knows God is hearing us.  He who is not of God is not hearing us.  By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of deception.

1 John 4: 5-6, Concordant New Testament 


I often think back to those times where I took it upon myself to do Gods business and cringe.  I can imagine the light within me being shrouded by a blanket thrown over it {Matthew 5:14-16}.  Where is there room for Jesus to show Himself through me when I condemn others?  Keeping in mind that even though Christ is in me, He is NOT responsible for this behavior.  This is the works of the flesh all the way.  The good news is that we can overcome the world as Jesus has.  We can choose not to react to those around us in such a negative way.  Not only does this open the door for those around us to see Christ exhibited through us, we will feel less guilty in the long run.  How is it that Jesus, being in spirit, can be known by this world?  One sure fire way is by those who know Him.  Jesus Himself tells us that those around us will notice our good works and glorify the Father {Matthew 5:16}.  The best way to show Jesus is to keep that light within us shining for all to see.  In time, He will open up opportunities to reveal Himself to others through us.  Haven't you ever met someone that you just knew ahead of time that they were a follower of Jesus?  I have.  It is in moments such as this where Christ is showing Himself to others through us.  Besides, any retribution I might take upon others pales in comparison to what God can do.  Let go and let God.  


"You are the light of the world. A city located on a mountain can not be hid.  Neither are they burning a lamp and placing it under a peck measure, but on a lampstand, and it is shining to all those in the house.  Thus shine your light in front of men, so that they may perceive your ideal acts and should glorify your Father who is in the heavens." 

Matthew 5: 14-16, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: