Saturday, November 18, 2023

An Incredibly Selfish Belief

 




And according as they do not test God, to have Him in recognition, God gives them over to a disqualified mind, to do that which is not benefitting.  

Romans 1: 28, Concordant New Testament 


I read with interest the story of women's soccer player Megan Rapinoe who seemed so disheartened by her recent injury that she took to proclaiming that she believed that her injury was proof that there is no God.  Now, Ms. Rapinoe is by no means a religious person, so this should not come as a shock to anyone who has been subjected to her woke, progressive politics in the past.  Honestly, the first thought that came into my mind when I read this story was of how selfish a statement that it really was.  So, you get injured in your final game of your career and that is proof that God does not exist?  Yeah, good luck with that.  Obviously, people have the choice to believe whatever they want to believe.  That is one of the freedoms we enjoy in this great nation which Ms. Rapinoe has lambasted in the past for being hateful and intolerant.  Perhaps she might reconsider, but I'm not holding my breath on that.  It is my own belief that not only does God exist, but that He lives in us today.  The apostle Paul speaks to this truth in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  Paul knew that the Father was closer to him than any religion had ever spoken to.  Even today, our institutional mainstream churches do not speak to the truth of Christ Jesus in us.  What we do hear from the pulpits is often a theology of separation from the Father who desires His children to be one with He and Jesus {John 17:21}.  Yet, I don't believe that Megan Rapinoe's declaration has anything to do with her discovering this while attending her local church.  To me she has always seemed to be an agnostic, one who refuses to believe the proof of the Father we see before us each day.  Many Christians see the sunrise each day as proof that the Lord has given us another day among His creation.  I wonder how it is that Megan Rapinoe would explain the wonders of the earth around us.  The vast mysteries of the universe or the miracle of creation.  Perhaps all which we see simply appeared one day?  Perhaps that big bang somewhere out there in the universe created all which we see today?  That's all fine and good, but what created the big bang?  At the end of the day, there had to be a start to creation.  Matter simply does not create itself.  Depending on which side of the fence you're on, you either accept the loving creation of the Father, or you deny His existence.  


"I thought about it a little bit.  I mean, I'm not a religious person or anything, and if there was a God, like, this (her injury) is proof that there isn't.  This is f_ _ ked up."

Megan Rapinoe 


I recall a time in my life when I was REALLY angry with God.  A time where I questioned if He really and truly cared for me.  I had been praying for my mother and her health for more than a few years.  I know that others in our local church were in prayer for her as well.  When the people in the hospital attempted to talk to me about making arrangements for end of life care, I disregarded their words.  I was praying for my mom, and God always answers our prayers, right?  So, you can imagine my reaction when I received the notice that my mother, whom I had been praying for hours earlier, had passed away.  Didn't God hear my prayers?  Was He somehow angry with me?  For the first time in my Christian life I was angry with my heavenly Father.  I mean REALLY angry.  I questioned His promise that He would be there when I came to Him (He was).  I was both hurt and angry at the same time.  It took some time, but I God finally revealed to me just why He took my mom away when He did.  See, she had been in pain for some time, and she often spoke of being free of it.  Through my love for her, I wanted her to live.  Through His mercy on her, the Father chose to take her home.  In my own selfishness, I did not see that what the Father was doing was taking my mothers pain from her.  Could it be that in her moment of pain and disappointment, Megan Rapinoe chose to speak what was on her heart?  Well, I've been there.  In my time of hurt I looked at my own pain instead of that of another.  I am thankful that the Fathers will overcame my own objections.  In His own time, He revealed to me the love and mercy He showed for not only my mother, but upon me as well.  I may have been angry with God over my circumstances, but that was an incredibly selfish belief on my part.  


Perceive what manner of love the Father has given us, that we may be called children of God!  And we are!  Therefore the world does not know us for it did not know Him. 

1 John 3: 1, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: