Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thank The Lord

 




And everything, whatsoever you may be doing, in word or in act, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God, the Father, through Him. 

Colossians 3: 17, Concordant New Testament 


This time of year we're used to hearing of the struggles of a group of settlers who arrived from Europe many years ago.  Of the struggles they often faced in this new land.  How the friendly natives of the new world helped them adjust to their new home.  All of this is true, with a few exceptions.  The new settlers were indeed assisted by the native American tribes, however, relations with them were icy at first.  Many of the settlers often spoke of divine providence in their journey to the new world.  They firmly believed in this divine providence as helping them through their journey.  That is, they believed that the Lord helped them when they needed it.  I believe that this is the reason behind each and every turkey and dish of stuffing which we partake of this time of year.  It is a time in which the settlers celebrated their new harvest with their new neighbors the native American tribes.  Unlike todays family feasts, the settlers invited their neighbors to join in the rewards of their harvest.  Indeed, there are many families who continue to invite guests for this annual get together.  It seems that a few of the traditions created all those years ago have been carried over to our present day.  But what about the part about the divine providence?  Far too often, we forget to give credit where credit is very well due.  Our Catholic friends have a saying which a good number of families recite before each meal.  Bless us, Father, with these gifts which we are about to receive from your bounty.  I might not agree with everything in the Catholic church system, but I believe that they got this right.  After all, is it not from the Lords love and grace in which we have what we need to live?  Is it not by the divine providence that we find ourselves with what we need in our daily lives?  Lay aside your pride for a minute and think where we would be without the love and grace of the Father.  Our future, indeed, would be bleak.  But for God, we have more than enough reasons to be thankful.  


Giving thanks always for all things; In the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5: 20, Concordant New Testament 


When I was young, I had a habit of going to sleep each night by thanking God for all which He had helped me with that day.  Yes, there were times when things did not always work out with what I had asked Him, but I was taught to always be thankful for what I had been given.  It seems a bit confusing that I am thankful for what I have been blessed with while there are so many others out there who for one reason or another are not as fortunate as I.  Indeed, this has often been a rallying cry for those who would deny the existence of God.  How is it that God could pour blessing on some, yet leave others in need?  I remember my mother struggling to pay bills.  I remember her on her knees as she knelt in front of that old, faded couch in our living room.  I remember her pleading with the Lord as she prayed.  I might have been too young to notice, but the Lord often answered her prayers with provision.  This lesson was not lost on her son.  When I was in a bad spot.  When I needed help and there was nobody to help me, I prayed.  Back then, I looked upon God as my last line of defense.  When all of my own efforts failed, I turned to Him.  These days I see this as a backwards idea.  We should be talking and praying to our Father continually {1 Thessalonians 5: 15-16}.  We do not live a life where we need to request permission to speak to God.  We do live a life where He remains in us {Galatians 2:20}.  We live a life with a close, personal relationship in the Father.  Turkeys and sweet treats are not the reason for our coming together during this season.  For it is through the gift of the Father that He enables us to come together.  Thank the Lord.  


Be rejoicing always.  Be praying unintermittingly. 

1 Thessalonians 5: 15-16, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: