Sunday, November 19, 2023

To Live Is Christ

 




For me to be living is Christ, and to be dying, gain. 

Philippians 1: 21, Concordant New Testament 


I had a dear friend the other day pose the question if there were things which we regretted in this life of ours.  He had just read a article which detailed the common wishes among dying patients.  What is it that they wish they would/could have done?  What are those things which they regret?  I cannot speak for everyone, but as for myself I often wish that I would have started living healthier at an earlier age.  Of course, I have begun to do just that in the past few years.  What are the things which I regret?  Not having a family of my own.  Not finishing my college education.  These things now seem like simply dreams unrealized.  Others may speak of their own regrets.  Wishing they would have traveled more.  Longing to repair that strained relationship.  But would we continue to dwell on the past if we were to realize the true purpose of our life?  The meaning of life has been a question asked by many.  If we ask different people this question we may definitely get an assortment of answers.  But I'm concerned in this writing with asking one particular person their feelings on the meaning of life.  That being the apostle Paul.  What would Paul's response be were we to inquire of him the meaning of life?  Well, he's already told us his answer, and we can find it in Philippians.  See, for Paul, to live was Christ Jesus.  That is, his life long devotion was to Christ.  It seems that Paul was not concerned with longing for the material things in life.  Now, we know from the scriptures that Paul did concern himself from time to time with his relationships with those around him, but these things were not his focus in life.  For Paul, the main focus of life was his devotion to Christ Jesus.  This might sound weird coming from a man who spent a good portion of his life persecuting the followers of Jesus.  Yet somewhere along the road to Damascus the man Saul had an awakening.  From that point forward, Paul lived his life for Christ Jesus.  Jesus was his life.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


I remember sitting in the hospital with my mother in her last days and attempting to reassure her that God was waiting for her.  Can you imagine trying to explain the truth of Christ in you to someone who only understood the physical world in front of her?  I have more than a few regrets from this portion of my life.  Wishing I could have explained the love of the Father better to her.  However, I was attempting to explain the love of the Father to someone who spent a good portion of her life explaining the love of the Father to me.  I have no doubt that I will see my mom again in that day.  It is clear to see that Paul lived his life for Jesus.  I believe that he was living the example of the Christ centered life for us.  Did Paul have worries and difficulties?  Absolutely!  He inquired of his companions to bring him things as he languished in a Roman prison.  He longed to be reunited with his brethren.  Despite all of this, Paul knew for certain that his very life...was Christ.  He understood that the old man Saul had been put to death on the cross with Jesus.  He understood that he...no longer existed.  What remained was not Paul, but Christ Jesus within him {Galatians 2:20}.  Knowing this, for Paul to live was Christ.  In the end, Paul did not fear his own death.  In his mind, Jesus had overcome death once and for all at the cross {Romans 6:9}.  For Paul, to die was to be free of the constraints of this world and united with the Father.  Can it be said that we can learn from the example which Paul gives us and eagerly await our departure from the constraints of this physical world?  If we live for Christ Jesus, this is exactly what we wait for.  


There is no independent, self-operating self in the universe, except the One who calls Himself the I AM {Ex 3:14} and says, "I am the Lord and there is none else, there is no God besides Me" {Isa 45:5}.  

Norman Grubb ~ No Independent Self 


~Scott~ 

No comments: