Saturday, January 13, 2024

Big Church

 




For I hunger and you give Me to eat' I thirst and you give Me drink; a stranger was I and you took Me in; naked and you clothed me; infirm am I and you visit Me; In jail was I and you come to Me.'  "Then the Just shall be answering Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we perceive Thee hungering and nourish Thee, or thirsting and we give Thee drink?  Now when did we perceive Thee a stranger and take Thee in, or naked and we clothed Thee?  Now when did we perceive Thee infirm, or in jail, and we came to Thee?  "And, answering, the King shall be declaring to them, 'Verily, I am saying to you, in as much as you do it to one of these, the least of My brethren, you do it to Me.' 

Mattews Account 25: 35 - 40, Concordant New Testament 


I was reminded today in a not so subtle way just why I no longer step foot inside what many know as the mainstream church.  See, the church, as I once knew it, is dead.  It has been dead for quite some time.  The last time  stepped foot inside a brick and mortar church I felt as I was witnessing it's dying moments firsthand.  I used to be big into going to church.  That was something we always did growing up.  Yet that church is gone now.  That church which I once knew and cherished.  A good friend recently shared a story with me of a man who was booted from a church group for asking a simple question.  The question?  Is it true?  Is it true about the birth of the Christ child?  Is it true that He is to be the promised savior?  Now, any pastor worth his salt would be able to answer those questions when posed to him.  However, the minister in the authors story had difficulty answering a few of the basic questions concerning Christianity.  So much so that his response was to "encourage" the author to no longer attend his bible study group.  Honestly, the first thing that came to my mind as I read this article was...big church.  That's it, a church which had grown too big and far too arrogant to be bothered with simple questions about the birth of Christ Jesus.  A church with bigger concerns, like loud worship services, light shows and tithes and offerings.  It is these dog and pony shows which I began to see in my latter days in the brick and mortar church.  It seemed like the days of Sunday sermons and Sunday school lessons were a thing of the past.  The church had gotten too big for its britches in my opinion.  Now, let me make something clear, when I refer to the church, I AM NOT referring to the body of believers with Christ as its head {Paul To The Colossians 1:18}.  No, what I am referring to here is the man made brick and mortar church which many of us have become familiar with over time.  I am talking about the man made, new wave, Christian religion that we have seen overcome many congregations in recent years.  Where showmanship and optics are more important than charity and the work and words of Jesus.  This is what ultimately drove me away from the church I once knew.  


Now all those who believe were also in the same place and had all things in common.  And they disposed of the acquisitions and the properties, and divided them to all, forasmuch as some would have had need.  Besides persevering day by day with one accord in the sanctuary, besides breaking bread home by home, they partook of nourishment with exultation and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor for the whole people.  Now the Lord added to those being saved day by day in the same place. 

Acts Of The Apostles 2: 44 - 47, Concordant New Testament 


For many years I knew and understood the church to be a place where people would come to be saved and to learn of the Lord.  It is where my understanding of the Father and His gift to me initially began.  Growing up I attended my share of churches, and not one of them had the dog and pony shows we've come to expect from the modern church.  There was a sermon, or lesson, and there was a Sunday school lesson for the children.  The loud music, light shows and corporate atmosphere, that came later.  Understand this, the modern brick and mortar church is A BUSINESS.  Anyone who doubts this need only look at the importance modern churches place on the financial bottom line of the operation.  If something isn't generating money, they do away with it.  Those who ask simple questions like, is it true, are usually not welcomed.  One of my own experiences with the mainstream church saw me expressing interest in a fellowship golfing group, only to be shot down and told that it was probably designed more for "experienced" players.  Right, experienced golfers looking for fellowship, I get it.  The funny thing is, I've learned so much more of the truth of Christ after I stepped out of the church.  If you want to learn of the forgiveness and acceptance found only in Christ Jesus, then big church probably isn't the place for you. 


~Scott~ 

No comments: