Saturday, May 11, 2024

Choices

 




All is allowed me, but not all is expedient.  All is allowed me, but not all is edifying. 

Paul To The Corinthians (1) 10: 23, Concordant New Testament 


The question is, what do the words of Paul have to do with recovery from injury?  This is the question I contemplated this week as I recover from a recent knee injury.  Catering to the desires of the flesh, my first inclination was to reward myself with a cheat meal for staying the course in my recovery.  Then it hit me, what good would that do me?  In fact, wouldn't it do harm to what I have been trying to achieve in my overall health?  Then the words of the apostle came to mind as Paul discusses this very subject.  Paul was all too familiar with the rules and regulations of the strict Jewish standards of his day.  In fact, he had spent a good portion of his life in the edicts of the Jewish faith.  There were structures and traditions for eating, drinking and many other aspects of daily life.  Paul would also come to understand the words of Jesus when He referred to the Jewish leaders of His day as "Whitewashed sepulchers" {Matthews Account 23:27}.  The leaders who preached such traditions but were themselves unclean.  Men who focused on outward appearance while ignoring the interior.  Paul would come to understand that all things were allowed him, but not everything is edifying to him {Paul To The Corinthians (1) 10:23}.  Yes, I can indulge in all sorts of things that I desire, but not everything is uplifting for me.  Perhaps this is why the Lord created us with the innate ability to choose?  Whether this is true or not, these words of the apostle can certainly help us in our life.  Back in the day, I certainly knew that visiting strip clubs was allowed.  I did that a lot.  However, I did not yet realize that this indeed was not edifying to me.  The alcoholic might see that drinking is indeed allowed him, yet does not realize that it is not edifying to him, it does him no good whatsoever.  If we desire to live as those whitewashed sepulchers, which are bright and shiny on the outside but not the interior, then we're missing the point.  


"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  for you are cleansing the outside of the cup and the plate, yet inside they are brimming with rapacity and incontinence.  Blind Pharisee!  Cleanse first the inside of the cup and the plate, that their outside may be becoming clean!" 

Matthews Account 23: 25-26, Concordant New Testament 


In His famous woes to the Pharisees, Jesus was all too aware of the hearts and intentions of these religious leaders.  It is Jesus who speaks to us of letting our light shine before men {Matthews Account 5:16}.  This light is Christ Jesus Himself {Johns Account 1:4}.  I believe that Jesus was illustrating here the hearts of the Jewish leaders.  They certainly conducted themselves according to the edicts which they preached (Whitewashed sepulchers).  Yet their actions did not portray what was in their hearts.  They demanded of the people what they themselves did not practice.  Indeed, Paul was all too aware of these men and their practices.  He once walked in their shoes.  I'm sure that he ruffled a few Pharisee feathers when he proclaimed that all things were allowed him.  Of course, having his eyes opened by the Lord, he also understood that everything, although allowed, was not profitable for him.  There are things which are not edifying for Christ Jesus in Whom we now live.  Is a visit to the local strip club showing the light of Jesus in me?  While I might recognize Him there, those around me might see me as one of those whitewashed sepulchers.  Yes, all things are allowed me, but not all things are profitable.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: