Saturday, April 9, 2016

His Voice

Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.
Jeremiah 33::3 NNKJV

It's been the subject of many a book and christian pulpit pounding sermon.  Yet, many of us seem to miss the mark when it comes to this aspect of our walk with God.  Throughout the scriptures we are shown many instances where God was in communication with His children.  We ask ourselves, just how can God speak to us today.  Does God desire to communicate with us today as much as He did in generations past?  I would venture to say yes, but are we willing to hear Him?  See, just as communication between we humans is a two way proposiition, so it is with our Lord.  How often have we been distracted from a conversation by television, driving, a radio or something else going on around us?  I don't feel the issue is that we're not listening to God, but often that our attention is not focused on what He may be attempting to tell us.  Sure, we can proudly proclaim that simply going to church more often or acting a certain way is a stepping stone to hearing Gods message to us, but is that really the issue here?  For it is my belief that our Lord will listen to His children no mattter where we are.  He listened to David as he was pursued by Saul.  He even listened to Abraham on the mountain.  No, I don't believe that our location is the issue with hearing from our Lord.

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir to all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the majesty on high,having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
Hebrews 1: 1-4 NKJV

As we have all had problems communicating with each other in the past, so it is with our Lord.  I believe the disconnect is on our end and not Gods.  However, I also believe that hearing from our Lord is not such a difficult equation after all.  As the saying goes, it's not rocket science.  For God did not suddenly lose interest in communicating with His creation after the death of His son.  No, for it was the death of Jesus on the cross that actually brought us closer to our Lord.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

  Some pulpit pounders would say that there had been a seperation between God and His creation after the fall, but I disagree.  No, Gods desire for relationship with His children has ALWAYS been there.  As we can see in Galations 2:20, what happened at the cross changed things dramatically.  No longer was God on the outside looking in, but he dwells within us!  To this very day, this seems to be a radical thing for most christians.  God is in me?  Yes, christian, there it is in His word.  Believe me, this was  a difficult subject for me to comprehend.  My thought was that God and I were seperated, which put a strain on our communication.  Of course, the conventional church teachings of today didn't help.  If we are not hearing our Lords voice, we do well to consider the line of communication between us.  Are we listening?  What distractions are we dealing with?  God is not distant, but actually waiting and willing to speak to His children even today.

~Scott~

No comments: