Sunday, April 17, 2016

I Need You Lord!

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.  And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as we are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.  Father, I desire that they also whom You gave me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world."
John 17: 20-24 NKJV

It has been a heart breaking moment.  I recently decided to attend a grief recovery class upon the death of my mother.  Although I feel that I have made progress in dealing with my loss, there are others who are struggling in theirs.  Each week, someone will inevitably bring up the point that they feel that God has somehow abandooned them in some way while they were grieving.  Now, I know that this is a ridiculous assumption on anyones part, but our grief and emotions are very personal to each of us and often they produce such thoughts.  I know by that which I speak, because I felt these feelings myself upon the death of my mother.  How could God take such a Godly woman away from us?  Where was He on those days when I woke up in tears and needed Him most?  In my heart I already knew the answers to those questions, but my realization was clouded by my own greif.  The realization that I have is that our Lord will never leave me nor forsake me.  Others may fail me, but my Lord is the same yesterday, today and forever.  Therefore, when He tells us in scripture that He is always with us, we can trust in our faith that His word is true.  In the 17th chapter of the book of John, we see Jesus on the eve of His trial and crucifiction praying in the garden of Gethsemenee.  I'm certain there is no grief I've ever felt that could compare to that which Christ was feeling on that night.  Yet, in the midst of His anguish, Christ prayed...for us.

"And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.  There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."  Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new."  And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."
Revelation 21: 4-5 NKJV

Imagine the anguish that Jesus felt on that night.  Facing His imenent death on that cross, Jesus' thoughts turned to those who would come after Him...to us.  Notice also what Jesus prayed for us on that night.  As He faced His own fears and wept, Christ prayed to the Father that we would become one in Jesus, as He and the Father are one.  Not only that, but that God has indeed loved us as He has loved His own son.  Now, someone explain to me that, if we are one with Christ, has He indeed left us in our hour when we need His presence the most?  Certainly Not!  For Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.  If He promises His presence in us, He DOES NOT change.  Therefore, we can rest assured that those who are in Christ have His spirit in us totally.  For it is Christ who walks with us in our daily walk.  Jesus in the Father, and we in Him.  That former self who once inhabited us has been evicted, replaced with the spirit of Jesus.  So if Christ is in us, does that mean that we will never experience difficulty or pain?  No, for Christ Himself went through the very same thing.

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession.  For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempte as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore come boldy to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4: 14-16 NKJV

The next time you feel that you're alone, reflect upon Jesus.  The next time that you feel that God has abandoned you, consider the suffering that Christ endured.  For is His darkest hour, Jesus loved us enough to lift us in prayer.

~Scott~

No comments: