Thursday, April 14, 2016

Our True Legacy

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they may also be one in Us, that the world may believe that you sent Me.  And the glory which you gave me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.  Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which Youu have given Me; for You love Me before the foundation of the world."
John 17: 20-24 NKJV

Besides worrying about how much money we have, many good intentioned people worry about just how they will remembered in this world.  We often live under the false belief that it is our riches, influence or accomplishments that will ultimately dictate how we will be remembered.  However, our history has been filled with examples of those who, without money or affluence, remain some of this worlds most cherished people.  For it is not for moeny or influence that they strived, but for the good of others.  The author Norman P. Grubb penned more than a few books on the human behavior.  Some of his best works refer to two types of people, those with a "Self for self" personaliity and those with a "Self for others."  The closest I can come to describing these two is one is selfish while the other is charitable.  A friend of mine has often refered to this as a "Self for others" identity.  Far from those whose "Self for self" identity often leads them to covet all that they feel this world can give them, the self for others person personifies those who often give of themselves to others in need.  We've all seen this personality in action not only in church but in the world as well.  Which of these personalities would you like to be remembered for?  Is your focus on accumulating wealth or on helping those in need?  Of course, I believe we all have that desire to help when called on.  But is it this the self that defines us?

We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
Psalms 78:4 NKJV

One thing that Norman Grubb attempts to make clear is that there is, ultimately, no independent self.  If you think about it, this is pretty clear to see.  For if we were truly independent, then what need would we have for God?  Have we created ourselves and everything around us?  No, for our Lords handiwork is evident in everything we see.  He has not only created us as told in Genesis, but has provided for us and determined before time began all that our lives would hold.  I'm not sure how one can then hold the belief that one could be truly independent.  Whatever your religious leanings, one has to realize that it is not they who determine their own path.  Knowing this, are we forced then to accept the reality of God?  That's something for each of us to decide.  How will we be remembered?  Our  own lives will determine that.  For others will see a side of us that we may not see for ourselves.  I wondered just how my mother would be remembered by those she knew.  I knew she had a heart for her Lord, I saw that throughout my life.  However, how others would see her remained hidden to me until her passing.  As her friends remembered her and her friendship, I learned alot about her.  Her generosity, mercy and kindness were all well remembered by those who knew her.  I can honestly say that my mother had a self for others.  I'll never really know just how many lives she touched.  My own legacy is yet to be written, but I have a goood example to follow.

~Scott~




No comments: