Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Search Is Over

Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29: 12-13 NKJV

It's a common piece of advice in modern christianity.  When we've fallen on hard times, when our backs are against the wall, we are told to "Seek God" or to "Seek His presence."  It is as if God has somehow removed Himself from our lives and that we need to go and find Him.  Despite plenty of scriptures that teach to the contrary, we continue to allow ourselves to be told that  God is somehow seperated from His creation.  Does anyone recall the scripture where our Lord promises to never leave us nor forsake us?  Does that sound like God is seperated from us?  Why would God promise to never leave us if He would require us to actively seek Him out?  However, that does not exactly mean that if one should choose to seek Gods presence that our Lord would not acknowledge their request.  For I believe that God is pleased when we seek His presence, as a parent relishes in the company of their children.  It is no different with God, for we are His own children.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatiions 2:20 NKJV

Now, someone please take a look at Galations 2:20 and tell me just how one can infer that our Lord Jesus is seperated from us today.  No, for we are told that Jesus indeed "Lives in me."  Although this seems pretty cut and dry, it is still one of the most difficult truths of christianity to understand.  I know not why the modern church does not teach this truth more actively.  If we were to hear this message from the pulpit on a regular basis, I would assume that more people would understand it.  I can sympathize with those who struggle with this concept, for I beat my own head against the wall trying to figure this out.  Although it is not easy, it is by all means true.
It was a moment I wish I could revisit.  The "guide" leading our grief recovery class session chimed in and made the claim that we needed to "seek Gods presence" to help in our grief.  For a moment, I felt like being the rabble rouser and standing up and correcting him, but I resisted that urge.  For this is a conversation to have in this group in the near future, but not introduced in a confrontational way.  I don't claim to know all that there is to know about the presence of God, but I do know that when I need Him, I don't need to actively seek Him as if He has suddenly deserted me.  No, His promise to me is to never leave me.  Now, I don't know how telling a group of people suffering from grief that they need to seek God can help them, but I guess that's why I'm not leading the group.  In my mind, it is exactly in times like these that God is closest to His children.  Would a loving God betray His children by abandoning them in their time of need?  Well, some pulpit pounders may want us to think so.  It is good that I know better.  The presence of our loving Father that we so often seek is there within us today.

~Scott~


No comments: